PDA

View Full Version : engine "died"

phil_vetter
03-09-2009, 19:12
I have a 2003 Duramax which was idling in the driveway yesterday when the engine just stopped running. All power, including the radio, was still on. When I tried to restart, it turned over but no ignition. Has plenty of fuel and I checked all the fuses. Any ideas?

Mark Rinker
03-09-2009, 19:24
Welcome aboard.

99% of the time when a diesel 'dies' its simply not getting fuel.

How long since last fuel filter was changed? If you haven't changed the filter in the last 10-15K miles, its probably time and most likely your problem.
Temps yesterday when this happened?
Dual fuel tanks, or single?

phil_vetter
03-10-2009, 03:33
The fuel filter was my first thought but it was supposed to have been changed at my last oil change which was less than 5k miles ago. It was about 80 degrees when this happened and I only have a single tank.

Mark Rinker
03-10-2009, 04:52
Well, 80 degrees pretty much rules out filter icing or waxing...:D

As the for dual tanks, I recently got stumped when my driver reported the flatbed truck and (empty) gooseneck trailer stalling on the interstate. Gauge still indicated 1/2 tank - plus the miles traveled since the last fill wasn't nearly enough to be out of fuel yet. After an expensive tow for the truck and gooseneck off the interstate, it turned out to be the transfer pump between the rear and front tanks. Re-filling the front tank was all we needed to get rolling...

I'll bet a fresh fuel filter will fix your problem. You'll have to prime the new filter - open the small round black plastic bleeder on the top of the filter housing with a flat screwdriver, and pump the large button on the top of the filter housing until fuel is flowing freely. Sometimes it takes ALOT of pumps to prime - maybe 75-100, my hands are usually complaining about the time the truck starts.

Any SES (Service Engine Soon) light set? Usually a code indicating low fuel rail pressure will be set if the filter is plugged. You should look for fuel leaks when underhood, another cause of stalling could be a leak at an injector, fuel line, or fuel pressure sensor. All will cause fuel to be present - there should be none - any amount anywhere is a problem, it doesn't take puddles.

phil_vetter
03-13-2009, 07:01
A mechanic friend of mine thinks it is a crank sensor. Any thoughts? He is coming by this weekend to check it out. I will report what we find.

leolkfrm
03-17-2009, 19:46
Did you read the codes yet?? 2 weeks ago I was smoking and stumbling, figured it was the fuel filter or gelling, got it running right with additive and had it serviced, fuel filter and oil change. Dealer said all is good, six hours later it died, had a 1550 code, was showing weird things on the scan tool. towed it back to the dealer 2 days, 60 diagnostic sheets, and a call to GM, the mechanic found 3 loose wires and one fell out. it lost signal and quit running. it was engine side of the 38 pin engine harness connector, just above the left head. All three wire snapped into the socket tight, and running normal. For $278 it was a deal on diagnostic time, and the dealer was honest on what they found without using a bunch of unnecessary parts

More Power
03-18-2009, 21:04
Always remove any performance gizmo before attempting to troubleshoot a problem like this. Then, as Mark suggested, don't forget the basics in diesel (fuel, fuel filter, air in the fuel system, etc.).

We usually get a rash of odd engine running problems in the spring. What sometimes happens is that during the spring, there can be a large temperature swing between the overnight low temperature and the afternoon highs. Diesel fuel expands and contracts in the fuel tank. With a larger temp swing, this expansion & contraction can produce either pressure or vacuum in the fuel system. Your fuel tank should vent at no more that 1-psi pressure or 2" vaccum. A sticky fuel tank cap vent and fuel contraction can starve the engine of fuel - or produce an airleak problem in the fuel system where one might not be otherwise.

Jim

Kennedy
03-19-2009, 05:23
Always remove any performance gizmo before attempting to troubleshoot a problem like this. Then, as Mark suggested, don't forget the basics in diesel (fuel, fuel filter, air in the fuel system, etc.).

We usually get a rash of odd engine running problems in the spring. What sometimes happens is that during the spring, there can be a large temperature swing between the overnight low temperature and the afternoon highs. Diesel fuel expands and contracts in the fuel tank. With a larger temp swing, this expansion & contraction can produce either pressure or vacuum in the fuel system. Your fuel tank should vent at no more that 1-psi pressure or 2" vaccum. A sticky fuel tank cap vent and fuel contraction can starve the engine of fuel - or produce an airleak problem in the fuel system where one might not be otherwise.

Jim

Like MP said remove the Edge. If it's looking for crank sensor, you probably have an Edge on it. Unfortunately this is not too uncommon. The crank sensors seldom if ever go bad, but the Edge can "eat" or lose the signal.

leolkfrm
04-12-2009, 14:52
Wonder how he made out???

Runaway_Dmax
04-13-2009, 07:21
Maybe a fuel leak and just needs to reprime the filter if it was just changed. Make sure filter is tight.