PDA

View Full Version : Injector tester

suburbanK-2500HD
03-03-2009, 14:15
As i promised, a picture of my injector tester.
I have a fine filter inside the bottle to clean the fluid.
Its best using a jack with removable piston, so you can access from the inside to fasten the 90dgr. nipple for the bottle.
weld the piston to the top nut.
Drill a hole in the piston, and make tread for the coupling to the T piece.
The manometer i a fluid filled type, so the needle dont move to fast.
0-250 bar.

:)

simon
03-03-2009, 16:39
that looks allright, now if you would put a needle valve between the jack and the T then you can test the injector for leakdown too.

Wing Nut OOA
03-03-2009, 18:02
like it!

could you go a little into a little more depth regarding the build of this for the lehmans here? we'll just go ahead and start this list with "ME" thanks...

suburbanK-2500HD
03-04-2009, 00:44
I Started With A 2ton Jack, With Removable Top As Seen On The Picture.
The Piston Had A Treaded Center Piece To Allow Adjustment, I Removed It, And Drilled A Hole In The Piston.
Welded The Piston To The Top Nut In This Case.
I Made Treads In The Piston To Fit The T Connector.
Connected The Manometer And The Tube To The T Connector.
I Got The Parts From A Hydraulic Shop, Bring The Injector So You Get The Correct Nut For The Injector.
The Cone For The Injector I Used Didnt Fit Perfect But I Used A Old Injector And Forced It So It Would Shape To The Injector.
If You Have A Old Injector Tube It Could Work Fine.
To Supply The Sytem With Fluid I Used A Exsisting Hole In The Side Of The Jack, Teaded It And Connected A 90 Dgr Piece, And Made It Fit The Bottle. I Used A Small Filter Inside The Bottle To Prevent Dirt From Getting In.
Manometer Is A Fluid Filled Type 0-250 Bar.

AS Mentioned in a other reply, you could add a valve to check for leakdown i wanted...

DaveBr
03-04-2009, 18:57
Now that's what I call "Backyard Mechanics at it's best." Good job Suburbank!

Dave

Kennedy
03-05-2009, 07:51
Most, actually all pop testers that I have seen use a std gauge. The liquid filling dampens to much.

Not sure what cost is involved, but I think you can get econo pop testers for not much across $100-150. Haven't checked in a while.

Robyn
03-05-2009, 09:01
I like the little improv. tester, definately takes the term "Rube Goldburg" to what I consider it's righful hall of fame spot.

Rube Goldburg was an engineer turned cartoonist (1883-1970) who drew pictures of all sorts of complicated mechanical devices made from all sorts of things.

I consider O'l Rube a folk hero :D:D

Like John mentioned the dampened gauge will effect the readings.

Chatter is one thing you need to see (When the pintle just sort of pulses allowing fuel passage) The gauge needle will vibrate back and forth during this action.

I love the tool.

Keep up the good work

Robyn

suburbanK-2500HD
03-07-2009, 15:04
HI

And thanks for the feedback.
Its not always the cost thats important, its the feeling of have been able to do it yourself that i like the most.
If the project i work on doesnt work, whos to blame....??
Myself, and that keeps me working harder to get there.

Have a nice weekend, and keep on burning Diesel.:)