PDA

View Full Version : Money pit or trade for a duramax?

Kmehr
02-25-2009, 17:17
Wanted to get some opinions on my truck situation. I currently have a 98 4x4 ext cab with 146K on the clock, I have had it for a little over a year, and i think it is about time that some money is going to need to be spent on it, and am wondering if i am running into a money pit and should just spring for a newer duramax since now would be a good time to buy, especially with cash. I am running an SVO kit on it which could all be taken off and used on the new truck. It has some serious steering slop/play that needs to be taken care of before it gets worse and gets me in an accident. The ABS was starting to cut in on normal braking, which almost caused me to rear end a few people, so it took the fuse out and am just being extra cautious. Bought it with the muffler and cat cut out which is cool for around town but the noise is really starting to give me a headache on long trips. Most importantly i am worried the IP is about to go cause it is dying on me from time to time about a min after i start it, starts right back up if i shift to neutral. Oh yeah and those newer ext cabs have 5 more in. of leg room in the back....

its been a great truck, i like it a lot, I am just wondering if i jumped into it a little too quickly to determine if its going to be the truck that lasts me forever and if i should move on to a newer dmax that is arguably known to be much more reliable. thoughts?

Kmehr
02-25-2009, 17:25
oh yeah, i am thinking new shocks are in order, and a duramax would have airbags for both passenger and me, my truck has neither

DaveBr
02-25-2009, 18:12
Looks to me like you're talking yourself into a DM. So end the pain and go get it done. I'd do it myself but my old girl won't give me any reason to let her go out to pasture. Without a doubt the most reliable truck I've ever owned.

Dave

Hubert
02-25-2009, 18:21
There is no truck that will last you forever if you want the upgrades of the newer models.

Trucks and cars in general last the first 100K miles without any significant maintenance items. Not so for the next 100K miles or more. And diesels are worse than gassers for this midlife maintenance costs. No guarantee either way a new truck could break and the expense could be more to fix it. Taxes will be more and so will insurance. At midlife the 6.5 is cheaper than a duramax but duramax gets better milage and runs longer ..???

Cars/trucks are not an investment and all cost money to operate. You either have a truck payment or maintenance payment take your pick. They can become money pits and there is a point of throwing good money after bad but there can be ways around that if you are frugal, patient, proactive with maintenance, and can do work yourself. If you have to pay for a mechanic and only have one vehicle then a newer truck is usually more cost effective.

I wouldn't try to justify it economically. In general they rarely justify themselves if not using them for carrying stuff or towing. Then its still a stretch unless you make money with it. If you can AFFORD it and WANT it then do it but don't stretch yourself too thin. Its your decision but my rant is thats part of the problem with the American economy way too much money being "disposed" of wastefully IMO. What do you have to show for it driving a newer truck/car all the time after so many years. But then again you can't take it when you go.

Kmehr
02-25-2009, 20:14
Thanks for yall's input, I'm still going to think about it for a while before i do anything. I don't really want to get rid of the truck, cause i like it, i just wish i could have had her since she was new so I know all about where she has been. i just read an article in diesel power about "how to pick a truck that will last forever" and one of the most important things was to know the truck from the beginning. I just want to make sure I am not being naive in thinking i could buy a 10 year old truck and make it last forever........when i should have gone with a newer one in the first place to make it last. The camino is not a DD option either.

john8662
02-25-2009, 22:13
I just wish i could have had her since she was new so I know all about where she has been.

So true in more than just trucks :rolleyes:

I used to think that they could last forever too, but not a single truck I've had has, and it's all because they've all had other boyfriends, and the baggage that goes with that past...

I like the idea of more than one girl...

Geta Dmax and keep the 6.5, cause even the dmax will get a visit to the dealer for injectors sooner or later...

J

suburbanK-2500HD
02-26-2009, 02:50
I doesnt sound like any disaster this !!
The part you are refering to isnt that expensive.
if you fix this you still have i good truck for i long time.

my truck has 240k on the speedo, without any big issues.
most of the parts you need to change is wear and tear parts.
if you like the truck, why not fix it.....

:)

Robyn
02-26-2009, 08:05
Well I will toss in my 2 cents worth.

The cost of a new truck is substantial. The economy is in the toilet right now and that large chunk of $$$ could SAVIORBACON if need be.

What you are talking about in regards to the repairs on the 98 does not amount to much in the way of cost.

If I were making this decision I would fix the 98 and hang on to the $$$ until the economy starts a good rebound,

Keeping food on the table and the mortgage up to date might be a good thing.
I would love a new truck but will never do that routine again due to the cost and the availability of good junkers to fix up. :)

Unless you are talking huge sums of $$$ and as long as the 98 has a nice body and interior, you can drive every penny out of it.

I just bought a 91 Burb that is spiffy and will hopefully have it going this summer.

Im going backwards in years with my car shopping.

The one thing that might be a plus would be if you could scare up a "newer" DMAX truck that someone has taken the initial thrashing on the depreciation and buy it cheap.

Just my slant on things

Robyn

simon
02-26-2009, 09:25
I agree with Robin
My solution is to have older 2 vehicles, keep both running and you've always tranportation.
the 40 grand or more in diff on a new one will go many yrs towards repair.If you DIY that is

Kmehr
02-26-2009, 15:11
Thanks too all for the advice, i am thinking I am going to stick to the 98, i mean you can't just jump from truck to truck whenever the thing wears out a little, plus I can do a large majority of repairs myself.....just hope the motor stays together is my main concern

Robyn
02-26-2009, 16:18
I bought our 94 Burb in 2004 and less than a year later the engine needed some serious attention.

Heads, bearings, rings etc etc.

About $1800 out of pocket.

The rig cost $8500 and even with the $1800 in the engine the truck is still well worth the $$$$ outlay.

My rule is this.
If the body and interior are good then the mechanicals can be reworked a lot and the $$$$ can easily be driven out.

If the body is a roach then it becomes questionable unless its just a beater that can still be used to fulfill a need such as a farm truck or ???

Robyn

Kmehr
02-26-2009, 18:53
The body has two dents in it but otherwise is very nice, and the interior looks like new,except the fan motor squeaks a little and one panel on the dash rattles at idle, which I am fast tracking down. Does have a small oil leak that looks like it is coming from the rear main seal, but very small. Say The motor does grenade and i wanted to put in a 6500 optimizer, what am I looking at in labor and engine cost? My turbo has absolutely no shaft play so it could be re used as well as several other parts, so I would probably be talking long block...