PDA

View Full Version : front differential noise

DRodgers
02-24-2009, 18:50
Hello to you all,

I have the front diff out of my truck and split in half. The problem is that I can not get the left side axle out. Ive tried different pry and pull, made a slide hammer plate and tried that with no luck. I spoke to the local GM techs and they told me they use a hole saw to cut the outer flang off the axle so they remove the carrier with the axle piece still in the carrier.
I can see where this could work but was looking for a less distructive way to remove it. They tell me that the snap ring lock has worn into the axle and there is no other way to remove it.
Just wondering if anyone has other suggestions. I took the unit apart 6 years ago with no problems.
Do you think these trucks have bearing problems as this will be the 2nd time in here for bearings.
The truck is a 97 K3500 4X4 SRW, with 430,000 km. Its all highway miles and very little 4X4 usage so I don't understand why I'm seeing bearing problems. The diff lube is changed every 2 years and its had synthetic since its first change.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dale

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-24-2009, 22:23
was the frontend put back together by you or a shop last time? very little tolerances on these diffs. it won't take much to wear them out if they aren't set up right. i don't know if you have tried this yet. place the case on a hard surface and give the face of the axle a good solid smack with a hammer. might need to hit it a few times. beyond that, you are probably out of luck for other options besides cutting it off.

diesel65
02-25-2009, 12:25
I just read a GM service bulletin yesterday about difficulty getting the left side axle front axle out. The bulletin mentioned to take the front differential out of the vehicle then stand it up on the right side flange, using a hammer to hit the left side flange in an up and down motion to help center the internal clip then you should be able to pop out the left side axle.

Dale, in your case put the unit back together temporarily, if you took off the right side axle tube then leave it off. Now you can work on a table instead of the floor.

DRodgers
02-25-2009, 18:06
Thank you for your suggestions. I will try the hammer to flange method to try to center the retainer clip and let you know the result.
I priced out parts today... axle, seals, bearings, retainers to a total of just under $1,000.00 so I searched out and found a low km 1999 diff from a salvage yard for $500 with 90 day warranty.
I am going to continue to take the origional apart so I can see what failed.
I'll keep you updated.

Regards
Dale

Robyn
02-26-2009, 08:29
A good used unit from the bone yard may be a good option.

I bought a lovely one a couple years ago for $500 that had 20K miles on the truck.

Just swap the unit and be sure the ratio is the same :eek:

Best

Robyn

opto
02-26-2009, 23:27
About the bearings....

Even though you don't use 4WD the outer axles still rotates with the wheel, making the outer bearings in the centersection turn aswell (the carrier doesn't turn)

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-16-2009, 21:40
Anything happen from this? Get it working again? :confused: :D