PDA

View Full Version : Even worth a try

lincoln
02-15-2009, 15:32
Hello all I'm new do diesels in general so please be gentle with me.
I have a single turbo gas 67 Galaxie that I drag race and my old lady got sick of not having something comparable so I was told to build her a car
Her's is a 67 lincoln continetal all original 462MEL c-6 88,XXX miles. But the MEL is all but dead (can't prybar it over) So I needed to find something to throw in there. A diesel came to mind. Heavy car and not a huge engine bay, so a turbo diesel sounded good. I found a 6.2 out of a hummer and bought it b4 I really did my research. I knew diesels were capable of sick HP and Torque but is this one not? I have a magazine with a guy who has 1300 RWHP with a 6.5 but I read on here that a 6.2/6.5 can't even hit 300. Are these really that weak?
I have a tv5101 turbo that I want to put on the 6.2. Is it even worth it?
Am I just gonna gernade this thing in to nothing?
The TV5101 put down 675 RWHP on my last mustang at 12PSI will the diesel handle half of that?
Thanks in advance

Jodean
02-15-2009, 15:41
you are correct sir....

the 6.2/6.5 is a light duty motor designed for economy.

Power can be built, but at a very high price. Max you will likely get is about 300hp. Even then might not be reliable. You would have to rebuild the whole thing with the right parts.

CA_CUCV
02-16-2009, 03:35
Yeah, I have to agree, if you are looking for a beastly diesel engine you made the wrong choice. If it were me, and I was looking for a diesel engine to swap, it would be the Cummins 4BT. It's not as heavy as the 5.9 cummins(6 cyl of same engine), which is good for a car, and you can get gobs of torque out of them. I think there was a fox body mustang that was running 9's with one

lincoln
02-16-2009, 16:06
well if that's the case anyone want a 6.2 out of a hummer:o

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-16-2009, 16:38
curious as to which magazine that was.
I have read claims of guys who say they hit over 1,000, but so far, they are only claims. As has been said here before, hitting 300 out of a 6.5 would take some doing. Are you sure it wasn't a 6.6? Even that is a decent stretch.
Easiest to work on while giving back good power would be an older Cummins. Of course, room would be a problem, so the 4BT would probably be your best bet.

As for the turbo, the diesel can handle more than 12 psi.

Jodean
02-16-2009, 17:50
im willing to bet that a 1000 claim was probrably torque.....and then only for 3 seconds it ran....then it blew up!!!

BigDiesel
02-17-2009, 09:05
The only way your ever gonna see big power out of the 6.2/6.5 platform is to buy the P400 and bomb it. It "should" handle whatever you can throw at it. Pricey though.

Robyn
02-17-2009, 09:23
A 6.2 with a turbo and a 92-93 4911 Injector pump will make your lead Lincoln sled run right down the road quite fine and do so with some nice mileage too.

I have a 6.5 TD in a 95 Dually 4x4 crewcab that does 20 MPG hwy and will tow my Horse trailer at around 8K and do so without a whimper.

The 6.2 with a Banks turbo or a GM 6.5 setup is no slouch.

These engines are not as weak as many make them out to be.

The 6.2 N/A is no rocket but the J engine is respectable and wil do right fine for power and mileage.

The 3/4 ton Burbs up through 91 were equiped with them and wer great.

A Burb in full trim will weigh about 6500 # My dahoooley weighs in at 7K empty.

Robyn

arveetek
02-17-2009, 11:40
Now, now folks....don't kill his dreams so fast!

There was the one guy that the DP did an article on that had a 6.2L in his race truck...he had fitted some large Cummins V8 injection pump...but that engine blew up after the driveline snapped on full throttle....

Then there's the gentleman with the 6.2L in his pulling tractor...he's fitted twin injection pumps on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PUwHt7SqVA

And let's not forget our own member, John8662, who has a 6.5L race truck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk8g_PzW47M

However, if you purchased the 6.2L with the hopes of "bombing" it like a Powestroke, Duramax, or Cummins....well, sorry....it ain't gonna be easy. But if you do, it will be a mighty unique and cool vehicle!

Casey

Robyn
02-17-2009, 14:47
The 6.2 as I said can make some very respectable power with a Banks turbo and a tweek or two to the IP or the addition of a 4911 6.5 pump.

A stock Hummvee is a real sled and the 6.2 gets them around nicely.

The C engine that came stock in 1/2 ton rigs was a bit anemic but when running properly did OK.

The nice part is that the 6.2/6.5 platform is not a huge monster and will fit easily into the Lincoln.

best

Robyn