PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft sensor

Dmaxxman
02-11-2009, 13:14
I have 2006 dmax with edge juice with attitude and exhaust and air flow system
truck will not run without edge plugged in GM code says crankshaft sensor is bad but edge says they read the sensor or truck would shut down

has anyone run into similar issue ?

I used to be able to unplug juice and truck still run

I have both batteries unhooked and juice unhooked will hook batteries back up in am and see if without juice it will crank

DmaxMaverick
02-11-2009, 19:57
Welcome aboard!

In all likelihood, a pin in the connector has been pushed out of contact with the OEM connector (or perhaps otherwise damaged). Check the connector for one or more pins shorter than the rest (or bent/damaged in some way). You can push them back in from the other side with a small needle nose plier or similar tool. The Juice module connector may have a closer pin engagement, which could explain why it works with the module and doesn't w/o. I don't know which pin(s) is the CPS, but I can look it up if necessary.

Dmaxxman
02-12-2009, 04:13
I did notice one side of the lock on the female side of GM plug was popped loose I fixed that when I took edge out of picture as soon as sun comes up I will find out if that is what it was

Dmaxxman
02-14-2009, 06:03
It appears my alternator is having trouble at start up it only puts out 10.8 volts after warm up it puts out 13.8 but it appears it is not putting out any amperage or very minimum
I keep getting low voltage codes in my allison and when I turn on rear defogger my volt meter drops 4 volts

I'm thinking the low voltage in my batteries ( 12.1) is why my ecm won't read the crankshaft sensor but the edge will

DmaxMaverick
02-14-2009, 11:54
The voltage drop at startup is normal. As long as it comes up in a short time after a start. You may have failing/failed batteries and/or weak +/- connections. The CPS is a "pass through" connection on the Edge module connector. The CPS signal isn't molested by the Edge module. You likely still have a poor connection, somewhere. If you have a low voltage issue, it should be present with or without the Edge module.

madmatt
02-15-2009, 13:58
I have 2006 dmax with edge juice with attitude and exhaust and air flow system
truck will not run without edge plugged in GM code says crankshaft sensor is bad but edge says they read the sensor or truck would shut down

has anyone run into similar issue ?

I used to be able to unplug juice and truck still run

I have both batteries unhooked and juice unhooked will hook batteries back up in am and see if without juice it will crank

Extended cranking w/o starting will set the CKP sensor code.

Dmaxxman
02-15-2009, 14:51
I put new one in I'm now getting 14.2 volts my allison has been dtc'ng on low voltage and when I turn rear defogger on my voltage meter drops below 9 volts
when I shut truck down after extended drive my brand new batteries only had 12 to 12.1 in voltage I'm thinking alternator was putting out voltage not amperage

as soon as I drive it enough to get batteries back up I will unplug edge and see if voltage level was so low that the sensor wasn't working for ecm but because edge has an additional power source it would still read

I have never seen a vehicle with batteries that low usually around 12.9

Dmaxxman
02-22-2009, 07:22
my new altenator has raised the voltage in my batteries

when I turn on the rear defogger now my volt meter hardly moves now

my allison is still skipping a beat and saying it has low voltage inbetween shifts

I'm going to try putting it in manual and see if it still errors