PDA

View Full Version : Ally in 2002 hunts in 5th

97-6.5TD-F
02-10-2009, 16:35
I am looking at buying this 02 from the dealership, but my small town word of mouth got around to me that the previous owner traded it off because the trans was acting up in top gear. Apparently it hunts around rpms in top gear. The fluid looks fine and it worked great for me on a 6 mile test drive.

What would you guys think? The trans cooler line is leaking a fair bit, so i am wondering if it was low on fluid when it was doing this?

I just dont want to have to pay for a rebuilt on a truck shortly after I buy it. These trans are expensive!

mbmax
02-10-2009, 17:55
I was able to dig up a old document that addressed this hunting. Document Id#1206527 dated 12/02/2002. The solution was to put a fifth gear manual lockup switch in the truck. On my 2002 I had it installed. If I recall correctly you may not notice the hunting unless you are going up and down hills and possibly towing also. The 01's and 02's did not have the lock-up from the factory.
Frank

mbmax
02-11-2009, 06:46
oops! I re-read my post and it should have read lock-out not lock-up. It was a 5th gear lock-out switch installed and used when towing heavy loads.
If my memory serves me I also remember something to do with a software change with 01's to do with that issue. My 02 was built in Jan 02 and never had that issue. Maybe this vehicle is a early 02? I think it had something to do when the cruise was on also. Maybe another member with a 01 would remember. Your dealership may be able to dig it up also. Hope this helps.

97-6.5TD-F
02-11-2009, 16:21
Awesome, thanks I will look into it.