PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge

scootdog
02-09-2009, 17:51
The fuel gauge on my 1982 6.2 long bed pu is all the way over to 3 oclock. This is on both tanks and it does not go down as the tanks empty.

any help?

Robyn
02-10-2009, 07:57
Unhook the gauge feed line from the tank sender and hook up a "Known" good sender (Including ground) and see if this will make it work right

The switch the swaps the tanks has a circuit to also swap the gauge feed.
The circuit likely is grounded or??? as the sender varies resistance on that line and this controls the gauge position.

If the issue is not resolved work your way back to the switching valve assembly and or the dash switch may have issues.

If you dont find any troubles with the wiring to the tank units and or the switch then it may be a bad gauge.

The cluster comes apart easily and the gauges can be swapped out easily.

Be careful with the old plastic cluster as you can crack these if you get too rough with them.

Robyn

scootdog
02-10-2009, 10:52
This is technical for me but I will get after it. not really good at electrics. I do love the old farm truck so I am doing my best to get it running well.

Jodean
02-15-2009, 11:30
grounding the sending line at each tank should make the gauge read empty.....

the sending wire has the little rubber boot around the connector that fits on the pin at the top of the tank.

I think if its not hooked up at all you get the 3 o clock thing....so may be the wire from the pollock valve to the gauge is broke.

Should be a 5 wire connector on the pollock switch, located between the two tanks on teh fram rail.