PDA

View Full Version : In-tank fuel heaters for "arctic" conditions?

KingNuzz
01-22-2004, 10:19
Does anyone know of a fuel tank heaters for pickups and light trucks, similar to those used for heavy trucks? Looking to keep biodiesel blend from gelling when the temps suddenly fall below 10 degrees. So far, I've found 2 large-truck heaters that use the engine's coolant; they install through the sender hole and use a stainless steel loop. Webb Enterprises and Arctic Fox have these in different sizes.

Ideas? Connections?

AndyL
01-22-2004, 10:50
Since the tank has to be modified anyhow simply welding in a stainless loop with hose fittings would be just as easy. Using the engines coolant is much more effective than an electric element. Heating with 12 volts requires extremely high current. For example: a 500 watt element at 12 volts = 41 amps. I don't know the thermal characterics of biodiesel but heating say 40 gallons would take forever with a 12 volt element and standard altinator.

Dvldog 8793
01-22-2004, 10:52
Howdy
You should be able to make one that uses the engine coolant fairly simple. Depending on what you have for a block heater it may heat the tank also. Otherwise you can buy a inline heater that would heat the coolant and pump it through the lines at the same time. If you just wanted something to heat the tank when not running then I would get the stick-on tank heater rated for the volume of your tank. The only bad thing about these is that you have to keep the tank pretty close to the volume rating for the heater.
Hope this helps....
L8r
Conley

Fat Boy
01-22-2004, 12:02
Hello,

Most of the parts you'd need to get the fluid back there are probably available from your local GM dealer... I'm talking about Suburban parts here... My suburban has the rear air/heat option (with a second heater core in the back of the Sub), and I imagine most of these parts could probably be used in a setup like this.

For those with 6.5L Subs, this would probably be an incredibly easy task (aside from welding tubes in the gas tank).

Fat Boy

KingNuzz
01-22-2004, 14:14
I'm definitely planning to heat the tank with coolant. This allows the truck to keep its fuel warm plugged in at home with an inline coolant heater, as well as when it's runnning.

The Suburban rear heating hoses could come in handy for routing coolant to the tank heater. Anyone have pictures or drawings of those?

kowsoc
01-23-2004, 00:57
How about the fuel additives with anti-gel. Many claim an increase of 20 degrees of gelling protection.