PDA

View Full Version : Take it in for warranty repair or leave it alone?

David_Jennings
02-07-2009, 22:22
My 99 K2500 started stalling, so I bought a remote PMD mount from Pensacola Diesel. It works. I won't know until I drive it for a few days if I have licked the problem. However, assuming I have, does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should still take the truck to a dealer for work on the pump? (I am still covered under the extended pump warranty.) Will GM turn me away because of my remote PMD? It would seem that if a remote PMD fixes the stalling problem, then the problem obviously was the PMD on the pump. Anyway, I would very much like to hear your thoughts, advice, and experiences.

Robyn
02-08-2009, 07:45
GM wont turn you away.

They will never acknowledge the failure of the PMD being due to the location of its mounting, butttt.

The last New GM diesel we had was a 95 Burb and it lost the first PMD at 25K miles then again at 50K and on it went. Back in the early days we had no idea about remote mounting the PMD.

Our 95 had 4 pumps replaced in the time we owned it.

If the remote mounted (New) Pmd fixes the stalling (it should) then your set.

The DS4 is usually good for many many K miles before it is used up mechanically.

Keep the fuel clean and it should be fine for a long time.

The late model pumps had the internal issues pretty well whipped. The PMD issue will haunt these things off and on until the last one is in a landfill somewhere.

The DTECH units (replacement aftermarket PMD) are, so far giving excellent service.

The big issue is of course HEAT

The whole design of the DS4 was a little shakey to begin with anyway and the PMD was just another weak spot.

When working right, and with some good aftermarket programing the DS4 will offer some very impressive power and great driveability from a 6.5

Sadly when someone gets a bad one, its hard for them to understand this notion.

My 95 DaHooooley has a 6.5 with a Banks exhaust, Power chip, Turbo master and just runs sweet.

I have had many 6.5 rigs and that one is like none other I have owned.
Power up the whazooo and good mileage too.

#7000 pound 4x4 dually that will knock down 20+ mpg Hwy.

Anyway
If your rig runs fine for a little while you are probably good to go.

PMD stalling issues is due to the transistors in the module overheating and begining to fail.

The PMD is a power driver unit that takes very small current signals and then relays a powerful control signal to the fuel solenoid in the IP.
This is what controls the amount of fuel the engine gets at any time.

The more fuel that is demanded for the load, the more work the driver has to do.
During Hot conditions (Summer) and slow driving the temps down in the valley of the engine can soar. The poor little PMD creature just fries in there.

Transistors don't like heat. Kept at 70F the things would be very happy and LIVE
Stuffed into the oven they are, they dont work well, at least for long.

Good luck and keep us posted

Robyn