PDA

View Full Version : Blinking Wait To Start light?

Zac6.5
02-07-2009, 15:33
I don't have any friends with 6.5's so I was just wondering if this was normal. When I turn the ignition on in my 98 the WTS light comes on, then goes off, then on and off. It usually goes through this cycle 5 to 6 times then it stops and I start it. Should it blink on and off or just stay on solid until the glow plugs have done their job (like my dad's 2004 F250). It doesn't bother me, I just noticed I have to let it go through it's cycle 2 or 3 times if it's cold out and it hasn't been plugged in.
Thanks

Robyn
02-07-2009, 16:34
The light should come on when the rig is cold for about 10 seconds then turn off (Start it )

When real cold outside the light may blink on and off a couple more times (Post heat)

Your glow controler is going south most likely.

Best

Robyn

Zac6.5
02-07-2009, 16:52
That is actually good news. Since I have owned the truck it has always had the check engine light on. I had it read and it threw a glow plug code. I changed all the glow plugs and reset it and still no luck. I have always wondered what was throwing that code. Is the controller the little unit on top of the manifold that the right and left side glow plug wires plug into? I will start the hunt for one.

Robyn
02-07-2009, 17:04
The controler is on the LH rear of the manifold. It fastens to two studs on the rear of the LH head.

It has two heavy leads going to it as well as the multiwire plug that controls the thing.

Most parts stores can supply one of these.

Unhook the batteries and then remove the little beast. Hook everything back up including the batteries and then let it set for about 5 minutes after the batteries connected to allow the computer to find everything.

During the first cold start right after a refit of the glow controler it may work a little hinky but will soon get into sinc with things.

Best

Robyn

Zac6.5
02-07-2009, 18:22
Thanks, will do.

rustyk
02-07-2009, 19:15
Take the old controller in with you, as there are a couple of versions.

diesel65
02-07-2009, 21:57
The system is working correctly, you should attempt to start the truck when the light first goes out. The light flashing on and off is just to let you know the system is keeping the glowplugs warm if you didn't attempt to start right away.
The glowplug light flashing after you start the truck is for emissions and to maintain a smooth idle when you have a cold start.

The glowplug controller for your 98 truck is not called a controller, it is called a relay that is controlled by the PCM. It looks identical to the controller from 1985 to 1993 except it only has 3 pins at the connector, whereas the controller has 5 pins and has the brain inside the unit.

What code are you coming up with?

Zac6.5
02-08-2009, 10:03
P0380 is the code. I changed all the glow plugs and made sure they were all getting power. Another guy suggested checking all the grounds, so I pulled all of them and stainless steal brushed them. No luck. If I try and start the truck right after the light comes on the first time it starts REAL rough, coughing and blowing smoke. It only blinks on for about 2 seconds then off. I will know soon enough because I ordered a relay/controller last night. Should be here Tuesday.

diesel65
02-08-2009, 11:46
Ok, The p0380 code is that the PCM is not getting a correct signal back from the relay for the command that the PCM sent.
You could have a bad relay or it could be a connector or wiring.
Just a suggestion, I think I remember there was a connector off one of the glow plug feed wires, Locate the relay and trace the wires from the stud.

My mistake, I happened to look at the engine I took out of my 85 Blazer and the controller has 4 pins.

Zac6.5
02-08-2009, 16:20
Well it figures I went for 1 more look and actually found a loose ground. A tiny wire coming from the direction of the relay/controller had slipped out of the crimped connector. Cleaned it off, put on a new connector and cinched it down, reset the system, and Whalah! No more code and WTS light wasn't sporadic on the second start. We'll see tomorrow but it looks like I'll have an extra controller.

diesel65
02-08-2009, 19:04
I just hate those gotchas

Zac6.5
02-09-2009, 12:16
Well, the code popped up again today so I'll wait on the new relay to see if that does it.

JohnC
02-09-2009, 15:40
Did you check the two studs on the relay for tightness? I've seen the code set when the connections were a little loose. Basically, the code means either the glowplugs were off when they should have been on or on when they should have been off.

Zac6.5
02-09-2009, 17:19
I will pull it off and brush the manifold and relay good with a stainless steel brush tomorrow, then cinch it down good. If that doesn't work my new relay should be here soon.