PDA

View Full Version : Does any one have an idea on how much will i be spending?

panchosteam
02-05-2009, 18:29
Hi guys, i have my 84 gmc pick up with the 96 6.5 diesel that i replaced some years ago and i see water leaking out from the back of the left head( by the glow plug controler) does anybody have an idea of how much money i need to spend on this repair? victor head gasket set is about $100 the one from felpro is about $190. We recently moved from Los angeles to Las vegas and i'm all out of job, i'm so much with out you...(money) does any one know of a good machine shop around north las vegas? is it better that i work on both heads instead of the left leaking side? i got a cuote from a place that said he can inspect the head for free, $75 for... is it called decking or something? $275for valve replacement and about $370 for compleat work on one side with parts and labor (both sides for about $700 or so). What else will i need to consider doing? i've checked the oil and water and i don't see water in oil or oil in water, the only bad is that it smokes white on start up, but it goes away after warm up (5 or so mins.) what should i do? thanks in advance.

Robyn
02-05-2009, 18:51
The 84 has the GP controler screwewd into a little plate in the rear of the LH head.

Very likely that the controler is corroded and is the cause of the leak. If not the controler the plate that bolts to the head has a gasket between it and the head..

This area is not an uncommon spot to see a leak.

Check this area before you rip the engine apart.

Now if your rig was retrofitted with the new style controler the plate could still be the plate and gasket.
The late model controler sits on top of two studs that hold the plate down.

Robyn

panchosteam
02-05-2009, 19:14
Hi, maybe i didn't explain right, the other day before starting the truck for first time i checked for water on the radiator and saw that it needed some so i started the truck and started to fill for the needed water, i let the truck idle for 5 or so minutes and then i saw a leak uder by the cross over pipe so got on top the truck and look way back on drivers side, checked by glow plug controler( replaced the one that i used to have on my old engine to this one) and i checked where the head meets the block, that is when i saw water coming out from between the head and the block; it doesn't run bad or anything funny, it still has power, but the water leak i know is a head gasket this is why i'm asking if anyone has an idea of the related costs and what is better to do... thanks. She's been good to me i've put about 30k mi and this is the first time.

john8662
02-06-2009, 09:05
Head gaskets are around $20 for the 6.5L, I'd recommend Felpro for the gasket. You'll then only need the water outlet gaskets (3), some "The Right Stuff" RTV for the valve cover, and a set of intake manifold gaskets. Finally, you need a set of head bolts (one time use), around 20 bucks.

Basically this setup is a 6.2L, but happens to be a 6.5L engine in the truck.

I'd say around $100 or less for all the parts, if you do it all yourself. I don't see a problem with just doing one head either (done it a few times).

If the head needs work, machine work will be up to the person doing the machining.

As mentioned above, check, and check again to make sure your leak isn't from the plate or glow plug controller plate (or cigar controller) itself.

It's not that common to have an external head gasket leak.

For the white smoke, it could be gasket (coolant related) or simply timing.

Does it have a miss?

panchosteam
02-06-2009, 20:48
Hi guys and thank you for your responses, i think i found the problem to the leak, looks like after taking the a/c compresor i found the leak, thanks to god i see that is coming from the water cross over gasket, the water leaks out from the cross over under the ac compresor and it goes back to the rear( that is where i saw the leak) so i took the turbo power cover(i left it on because i have no pmd,and it looks kool with the TURBO POWER sing on) and the compresor and that is when i found the misterius leak, i'm glad i gave it a second try, because when i took the compresor off, i saw a the leak from the cross over, then kind of look where the water lead me and it was only down in front of the engine and back to the top of the engine( by the glow controler) that is why i tought it was the head gasket. I already went to NAPA and gotme a set that also comes with the valve cover gasket and others so i'm ready to do it, the only thing i need to know is if any one of you gus have the torque specs for the valve covers and the intake? thank you.

Yukon6.2
02-08-2009, 10:39
Hi
Don't use the valve cover gaskets!!!They will leak!!!
Clean the valve cover and head surface squicky clean,then use rtv silicon or "the right stuff",Let cure if you can befor you start it up.This is the only way to keep the valve covers from leaking.
Did mine 6yrs ago,my engine is oil free on the outside:cool:
Good luck
Thomas

Yukon6.2
02-08-2009, 10:44
Sorry forgot to add....
When you tighteen the valve covers down with the silicon,just tighteen till you see the silicon start to compress and push out all around the cover,let sit for 24hrs if you can,then tighten the bolts just a little more,i do it by feel so i can't tell you how much,but be carefull and turn just a little,this will put a little more preasure on the silicon and hold everything better
Good Luck
Thomas

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-08-2009, 14:27
You can get it to work with the gaskets, just requires a bit more care. I have done repeated valve cover jobs on the RD head, trying to get the oil to stop. (The broken upper middle valve cover bolt helped things). I ended up using a gasket with a thin bead of RTV. Also, made a little girdle for the valve cover to keep pressure even across the board.

If you do use only RTV, it is a really good idea to let it sit for a while before checking them again and driving.