PDA

View Full Version : Gross Combined Weight Rating

MacDR50
01-31-2009, 14:20
Well I get into it with the B-I-L on what GCWR means for a 5th wheel truck combination. He said it is simply adding the two GVWR's for both the 5th and the truck. I said this doesn't make any sense as my 5th GVWR is 14,000#. Since my axles are only 6,000 each the GCWR for the 5th must include the PIN weight. In actual fact I an only towing about 11,400 lbs if the 5th is loaded to the max as the other 2,600 is on the truck. The GCWR in this case is the GCWR of both minus the PIN weight. In my case that would be approximately 9200(truck) and 11,400(5th) = 20,600. Anyone want to help settle this one. A !/2 dozen beer ride on the outcome.;)

DmaxMaverick
01-31-2009, 16:24
The GCWR (Gross Combination weight rating) is maximum weight for the truck and trailer(s) determined by the truck chassis rating. It has nothing to do with a specific trailer, 5th wheel or otherwise. Your truck GVWR is 9200, and your GCWR is 22K. Period. The GVWR for your 5'er is stated on the capacity declaration sticker.

Your GCW (Gross Combined Weight) is the combined actual weight of the truck and trailer(s).

Your Montana weight statement and rating lists the capacity of the axles. Your GVWR can be more than this, as a percentage of the GVW is expected to be on the pin. Mine is the same (Montana Mountaineer). They (Keystone) configure this, and it is appropriate and legal. If you ever have a time when the trailer axles are supporting 100% of the trailer weight, you have a very serious situation.

Who gets the beer???

MacDR50
02-01-2009, 15:55
Me. Thanks.:D

arveetek
02-02-2009, 21:10
Dmax is once again correct.

GCWR is simply the total amount of weight that the truck manufacturer says that the truck plus trailer can weigh together. So if you have a truck that has a GCWR of 22,000 lbs, and the truck weighs 8,000 lbs, then the most your trailer can weigh is 14,000 lbs. Pin weight, axle ratings, etc, have no bearings on this figure at all. It's the sum total weight of both vehicles together. Actual weights, not GVWR. Imagine pulling onto a scale with both the truck AND the trailer, and then weighing the whole setup at once. In my example here, the truck AND trailer weighed together at the same time better not weigh over 22,000 lbs, or you are overloading the truck's GCWR. And it doesn't matter if it's a 5th wheel or travel trailer, they can both weigh 14,000 lbs each and you will still be within the truck's GCWR of 22,000 lbs.

However, when trying to find a proper tow rig and trailer combination, you have to take into consideration all the ratings together. For example, you might be able to find a trailer that falls into the truck's GCWR, but it may have too much pin weight and then overload the axle rating of the truck. So there are a lot of factors to think about.

Casey

arveetek
02-02-2009, 21:12
By the way....

What model and year of Montana do you have? I am the parts manager at an RV dealership, and the Montana is our best selling towable.

Casey

DmaxMaverick
02-02-2009, 21:49
Not sure who you're asking. Mine is a 2005 Mountaineer. Bought it in 2005 (latest build, a month before the SLC Rendezvous), right next to a brand new 2006 model. They were identical except for a couple appointments. A real nice appointment mine had was a $10K markdown for clearance. My wife absolutely loves it. I like it (still too big/heavy). But, if she ain't happy, I ain't happy. I wanted a 30ish foot toy hauler, but she wouldn't budge (and the 95 Savana was beginning to be a nickel and dimer). The acre size living room and the decor sold her. It's been very good, with minimal maintenance. Less than expected. Very comfortable and it tows real well. Heavy, but worth it.

MacDR50
02-06-2009, 10:09
I have a Montana 3585SA, 2008, 10th Anniversary edition. Truck and trailer loaded are under the GCWR but if I add the Canadian GVWR for the trailer (14,000) to the 9,200 truck GVWR I would be over the GCWR by 1,000. PIN is another matter. At 13,000 I had a PIN of 2255. This is too close to the payload for the truck so I increased the tire size and installed rear Timbrens. I know this doesn't change the legalities but I feel I have dealt with the issue adequately.

We like the Montana. Excellent fit and finish. I went with the Moreride PIN. Time will tell if that was a good choice. I just orderd a new Hidden Hitch 18k signature slider with the underbed mounts. I will install myself as well as the Prodgidy brake controller.

christophersond
02-10-2009, 15:28
I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Classic, 2500HD, Duramax, 4WD, crew cab, with the long bed. The actual weight of this truck, as it comes off the assembly line, is 5883 lbs. The GVWR is 9200 lbs. Now fill the fuel tank (272 lbs), and add the max of 3K king pin weight, and that leaves you a total of 45 lbs for passengers!! I tow a 2005 Jayco 323 RKS 5th wheel. Jayco advertises this 5th wheel as having a GVWR of 12K, and a king pin weight of 2060 lbs (dry). I have an on-board Onan generator in the front basement of the 5th wheel-an extra 172 lbs. The actual GCWR of the truck and 5th wheel is 17,970 lbs. This 5th wheel has a rear kitchen, however, by the time I put clothes, and towels, in the front bedroom, fill the two front propane cylinders, plus camping gear in the basement, I am exceeding 9200 GVWR for the truck.

dr.olds
12-10-2009, 15:17
let me see if i git this right, as long as you dont go over your 9200# on your truck. and not over 22000 combination weight, your ok? Eddie:cool:

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2009, 18:57
let me see if i git this right, as long as you dont go over your 9200# on your truck. and not over 22000 combination weight, your ok? Eddie:cool:

.....and don't exceed the GAWR for each axle......and don't exceed your trailer GVWR (as stated on the declaration tag).

Every axle, every tire, every wheel, every vehicle, and every combination of vehicles all have weight ratings. Keep your weight under their respective limits, and you're OK (legally). In the case of a STOCK 2500HD, it's: 6,084 (rear GAWR); 4,670 (front GAWR); 3,042 (each tire/wheel); 9,200 (truck GVWR); [trailer GVWR]; and 22,000 for all of the above. If you don't exceed any ONE of these, you're OK, legally.

If you "upgrade" tires or wheels, this could change. Contrary to popular belief, larger tires/wheels don't necessarily mean more capacity, legally or otherwise. Many times, folks install 17, 18, or 20"+ (or even aftermarket 16") wheels, and think bigger is better. For the most part, it's just bling. Most of the larger wheels have a lower capacity (compared to HD 16's), and many larger tires (18, 20"+) have a lower capacity. Not a big deal if you have a 1/2 ton. Most tire shops will just sell/install and never check, intentional or otherwise. At the same time, many RV dealers will hook up whatever you buy, and send you down the road, never checking the weight ratings. There a a LOT of overloaded RV combinations on the road, and most owners don't have a clue. The DOT and HP don't care if you don't know, if you get caught.

afp2007
12-14-2009, 22:20
For information, we have a 2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD and recently purchased a new 2008 Triple E Topaz 305 (30'11" in length). We took the entire unit over BC weight scales and the total weight was +/- 18,000 lbs, so well within capability. The only issue is next year I will have to get a driver's licesne endorsement for towing more than 4600 kgs.

Rick

Mark Rinker
12-15-2009, 07:54
Awww...the fun (mechanically and legally) doesn't really even start until you are north of 22K# combined, 12' wide, and 14' tall... :eek: Thats when the guys with the crisp shirts and clipboards at the scalehouse get on the microphone and say...

"...Driver, pull around back and come inside with your paperwork!"

(Whats even more fun is pulling back onto the highway a few minutes later to proceed, after a complete paperwork review and mechanical DOT inspection - that results in the officer shaking his head and going back into said scalehouse...)

;)