PDA

View Full Version : Shoreline power inlet source

jtdalrymple
01-29-2009, 19:25
Good evening all.

We have survived a major ice storm here in NW Arkansas, and I have had it with digging out the block heater cord, beating the ice off and being mad when I get done.

I have been looking for a simple 15 amp chrome power inlet to mount on the bumper, and have a simple place to just plug a cord into the truck.

The only one I have been able to locate is one from a semi-truck shop that says, rather boldly, "FREIGHTLINER".

I would rather have a plain chrome flat covered model.

Anyone have a source?

Best Regards,

Jeff

DmaxMaverick
01-29-2009, 22:08
The plastic "marine" types are better than the metal/chrome. They don't rust, they seal out the elements better, and the cover doesn't bend (or stay bent, anyway). They can be fairly brittle in sub-zero temps, though. You should be able to find either one at a marine supply or boat store.

jtdalrymple
01-30-2009, 05:25
I have found those too. Good point as to the corrosion and damage resistance. Thanks!

Jeff

DennisG01
01-30-2009, 06:34
Try this. Made by Marinco. You should be able to get it for under $20. If you can't, let me know - I sell them at the marina. But, you'll probably find it readily available. I don't recall the part number, but I did a write up a while back - try searching using my handle (to narrow it down).

I agree with you that the chrome would look nice, but in addition to the suggestions above, metal is also more likely to freeze up. This one has a rubber flap so you'll always be able to open it.

I personally think this is something everyone who uses the heater should do. It's simple and cheap. Besides the nicer appearance (compared to having a cord dangling out from under your hood) it should make the cord last MUCH longer as it's not constantly being handled/flexed/bent.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/519/Block_Heater_Plug_a.JPG

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/519/Block_Heater_Wire_2a.JPG

Robyn
01-30-2009, 07:23
Pete, Kenworth and Western Star all offer the stuff but, usually they are proud of it and plaster their logo's on them.

My Western Star "Had" one in the cab skirt.
The Block heater is a 1500 watt unit and over time the small 120V spades got a little dirty and started to heat up due to the poor connection.
Finally the plastic innard on the receptical burnt up.

I yanked the guts out of it and connected the cord to a large 3 prong 1/8th turn and lock plug and made up a special extension cord for the rig.

This is a tad over the top for a little heater though.

My rigs all have the heater cord neatly positioned by the LH battery in a place I can get to. The plug has the plastic prong protector to keep the connections clean when not in use.

I simply lift the hood, plug in the cord and then drop the hood to the safety notch and letttt er ripppp.

If kewl is the key, the little recepticals are nice but not all that neccessary.

I am not by any means a fan of the cord hanging out the grill :eek:

A little bit red neck huh. :)

Robyn

Mark Rinker
01-30-2009, 07:53
C4500 comes with what you describe, stock OEM. Mounts above the driver's side step and door.

You could check with a Medium Duty dealer's parts counter and order one up...its chromed metal with a strong spring flap to keep it shut and sealed from road salt.

No isses so far, even when I forget it, and drive away... :) ...except for the cord left trailing down the driveway, before it goes TIGHTTTT.