PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Damper First Impressions

Stratosurfer
01-24-2009, 07:55
All,
My mech installed the Fluid Damper yesterday along w/routine maintenance and I couldn't wait to drive it when I got home late last night. I allowed it to idle then did some city driving and then went out into the county for freeway speeds and acceleration tests.
First of all the striking difference is the entire vehicle is much more quiet. I wish I had done a DB reading at various RPMs before and after but I didn't so I can only say it is -much- quieter at all RPMs. At idle, the Tahoe used to have considerably more diesel vibration than my Suburban that still has the OEM balancer on it. I suppose this is due to Detroit Diesel doing a better job of internal balancing the year after my Tahoe's was stamped out. Now I believe the Tahoe is smoother than the Sub and have sold all this to my wife so as to get funding for one for the Sub for an even smoother ride for her and the kiddos.

On acceleration I did notice a little more get up and go. On a 0 to 70 WOT it seemed we got there Pretty Darn Quick for a stocker, however I must confess this is purely subjective and yes a little sympathetic in my mind to the $420 paid. Objectively on the hard acceleration here again the engine and whole vehicle accordingly was -much- smoother.

Was it worth $420 over OEM. I think time will tell in the longevity category, the Tahoe is quite young at only 70,000 miles on the clock so I think the lifespan of this vehicle has been lengthened if nowhere else than on relieving some stress on the crank. The vibration reduction is very noticeable, and this can only be a good thing. The lower vibrations (harmonics) do as well lead to a lower overall noise factor. The noise difference is not the difference between night and day, but it is easily noticeable at all RPMs. Having studied vibration (vibration analysis) considerably in the Navy, I came to understand the significant destructive force out of tolerance vibration can have on a mechanical system. As well the OEM harmonic balancers have the engine inside the acceptable vibration envelope when the engine reports for duty brand new. Over time the OEM unit by design will lose it's ability to dampen vibration as the rubber breaks down from all the shock absorption.

In summary on having driven only about 10 miles, I'm happy with my purchase. The fact it is lifetime warranted, is silicone filled and will never wear out (OEM's will only last so long by design: rubber breaks down) is a huge bonus. I definitely recommend this significant upgrade and believe that over time it will become part of the upgraded 6.5's we all drive into the future.

JFerg65
01-24-2009, 10:14
Thanks for posting the update. How much of an undertaking was this in regard to time and the pain in the rear category?

Any thing you would do differently in regard to the switch out or tricks you picked up for doing next time around?

Any feed back on this topic would be much appreciated.

Stratosurfer
01-24-2009, 11:21
Thanks for posting the update. How much of an undertaking was this in regard to time and the pain in the rear category?

Any thing you would do differently in regard to the switch out or tricks you picked up for doing next time around?

Any feed back on this topic would be much appreciated.
Not too much. I had my front main oil seal leaking and had my mech do this along with the water pump and some other scheduled maintenance items, so the labor was minimal to what I was already having done. I was charged about 2.5 hours of labor but this included an oil seal, water pump, and some other leaking oil lines. So I suppose I would suggest that you do it when you do other items on the front of the engine. Mine was on the orig waterpump so I paid to preemptively replace that item along with the front main oil seal. The Fluid Damper was very little extra labor.

You may want to go ahead and replace the belt pulley that bolts to the damper when you do the job, my mech inspected it and put the old back in. The one on my Burb failed last summer and had to be replaced: so inspect it and find out how long to get one from your FLAPS (Fav Local Auto Parts Store).

In terms of purchase, buy it from your favorite vendor, for they all seem to drop ship it from the Fluid Damper factory, it is a heavy item at 20 lbs for shipping and it would be foolish for any vendor to stock it in their warehouse. They all ship is to the lower 48 free and all charge about the same.

Hope this helps.