PDA

View Full Version : Future of Duramax according to Bob Lutz, GM VP of Global Development

ccole
01-22-2009, 21:20
As a faithful GM diesel owner, I am really discouraged about the future of GM diesels after listening to Mr. Lutz's interview. However, I do appreciate his honesty. (unknown issue date of this material)

found here>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXA22Q0qXNM

hapaschold
01-23-2009, 02:57
diesels in germany are diminishing also with the arrival of direct injection on gas engines.
i think we re going to have collector duramax s in 10-20 years from now...

Mark Rinker
01-23-2009, 07:46
I believe the discussion is relative to passenger cars/Suburban/1500 series trucks, and the role diesel could play in getting mileage up, and emmisions down - across the GM fleet.

Its pretty clear how successful the Duramax powerplant has been in light and medium duty trucks.

Towards the end of the interview, he makes it pretty clear that diesels are here to stay, but are not the whole answer for GM's fleet....

More Power
01-24-2009, 20:59
Cupla things....

1- GM screwed up big time by not moving full-steam with a light-duty diesel 8 years ago, like they talked about at that time. GM would have had a wide and dedicated diesel market already in place by now for their light-duty vehicles. That would have provided the base from which to plan future generations of diesel platforms without having the uncertainty in the diesel investment. (note: uncertainty is what has held them back all these past 9 years).

2- Red vs Blue states..... The blue states, with large populations that don't drive the long distance miles (that red state diesel owners do) are controlling the emissions regulations and vehicle options for everyone. Blue states want diesel emissions 5 times more stringent than the toughest European emissions regulations.

Electric cars won't be a viable option for those living in most red states. They'll work great for commuters in LA or Manhattan. But.... they won't move freight.

Caterpillar has gotten out of the on-road class 8 diesel market because of the 2010 emissions regs. The remaining class 8 diesel engine manufacturers will likely fall away as well. Already, the trucking industry is complaining about fuel economy, reliability and increased maintenance. Not till the freight doesn't move will the EPA (and the blue states) see the light. ;)

Jim

Jake99Z71
01-25-2009, 09:15
Well put More Power.