PDA

View Full Version : will 6.2 fit my 83 suburban?

dean lindsay
01-22-2009, 20:41
I bought a replacement 6.2 for my 83 burb not sure it'll fit. How do I find out what does & doesn't fit? It supposedly came from a 91 Chev p/u but it has v-belts, not serpentine. Appreciate any answers.

DmaxMaverick
01-22-2009, 21:41
Welcome aboard!

It'll "fit". If the Suburban was a Diesel before, it'll fit easily. If it is a gasser, it'll fit slightly less easily. Choose V-belt or serpentine, all the brackets and accessories will swap over, either way. I recommend the serpentine, if for no other reason, simplicity and ease of maintenance (if you have that option).

If all you are doing is replacing the long block, it'll be an easy replacement. As easy as replacing it with another 83. An added bonus is power. The 91 will have 10-40 more HP, depending on the applications (if the 91 fuel system is used).

Robyn
01-23-2009, 07:20
I am right in the process of stuffing a 6.2 into a 91 Gasser Burb using the serp drive as well as adding a Banks Turbo system

The 83 Burb will be a K model and the 91 will be a V model (4X4)
The old body style trucks were never fitted with the serp belt system from the factory on the diesels. The gassers got the serp setup though

The serp drive will bolt right on and go to work easily in the older truck.

The issues you will have to address are as follows

1--- you must use the late water pump from a 6.5 as the serp drive spins the pump the opposite direction. (92 to 95, later ones had the HO and 99 had thread on fan clutch)

2--- You will need to replumb the AC compressor as the location is on the RH side of the engine with the serp drive.
This is an easy task and hoses exist that will work or you can custom build a set.

3--- The alternator wiring will need to have the later style plug to mate with the later alternator.

4--- The hoses should all be basically the same and with some mixing and matching it will all fit sweeeeeet.

There are basically zero differences (physical) between early and late 6.2 and the 6.5 engines.

Some changes were made across the model lines to accomodate the vans and motorhome chassis but the basic long engines are the same.

The vans had different injectors and lines to allow for a tighter fit.

As long as your 91 came from a Pickup or a Burb your set.

If not all parts will swap to make it what you need/want

Best

Robyn

dean lindsay
02-08-2009, 17:11
yes, looks like I'll start & hopefully finish this project this week in the beautiful MN weather - I'm hiring a friend to do most of the work - he's more knowledgeable but mainly w/gas engines I'd like to be sure we do all the smart things on the transplant engine while everything is easy to get at before we stuff it in. Mainly, I gather that it would be wise to change the rear main seal and we will also put a rebuilt water pump on the new (91?) replacement engine. I'm wondering if it's easy to have the injectors checked somehow while they're so accessible or not worth the effort/expense. - have not heard this engine run - the guy I bought it from did hear it run & said only "it sounded like a diesel" to him. I gave him $425.00 for it - hoping for the best! I guess I should check the glow plug resistance - .8 ohms cold, I read, or should I really consider replacing with better "self limiting" ones somebody wrote about - any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.