PDA

View Full Version : whining noise with each shift (6 speed)

trailguide2u
01-17-2009, 18:56
Well it's been pretty cold out lately here in MN (night temps 20's below zero). I have developed a whining noise. Whether or not it's the cold it seems to get better after a short highway run. It just so happens that I also have noticed that the delay in the volt meter is gone after start up the last few weeks. Now last night my belt tensioner pulley gave up and I nursed it home. Could it be that the belt tensioner was the cause to all of this? I checked the transfer case fluid and its full. I tried to check the tranny (6 speed) but I could not budge the filler plug. I need to check the front diffey too. I don't have a heated garage so I am waiting for a warm up. Regardless this noise is in neutral as well (clutch out) reving the engine will increase the whine. 30- 40 mph it's always there lately. After a highway run it quiets down. I did not think to listen when the tensioner broke. In 4wd drive the front end seems really stiff also. I mean the truck will not roll easily when engaged in 4wd. I have never had these issues before. I have Amsoil front to back. This is my second clutch. It was replaced in 04 -05 I believe. Any ideas?

Thanks!

More Power
01-18-2009, 13:25
Since you're working on the drive belt system anyway, remove the belt then listen for the whine. If it's gone, one of the belt-driven accessory drive components is making the noise.

Otherwise, cold temps can produce a new sound. If the truck sounds normal when warmed up, I might not worry about it too much.... :)

Jim

trailguide2u
01-19-2009, 19:12
Thanks-- I will try that tomorrow. Why didn't I think of that? Sometimes one looks past the easy things.