PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of upgrading to a Duramax

chambie
01-12-2009, 21:01
Hi,
I currently own a 97 6.5 with 131,000 miles on it. I am looking to upgrade to a 3500 dually duramax. I have looked at a few on the internet. My first thoughts were i'd like an 07 ' if i found one priced right. I'm kinda picky on colors ... looking for a white truck with tan leather interior. Anyway, i found an 04' 3500 4x4 Western Hauler conversion with 90,000 on it for $20,000 that looks really nice ! Naturally, i came to the forums to try and learn about the dmax. So far i've learned there a few different versions of the motor. This truck has an LB7 motor. I also read a few of the threads about the injector issues. I apologize for asking questions that have probably been answered a 1000 times, but .......!! I haven't read all the threads yet, and am wondering what your opinions are of the different motors. Also is there other issues with the 04 LB7 i should be aware of ? And lastly..... is the 04 i found a decent deal ? The truck is immaculate.... just not sure of the motor. I ran a carfax and it didn't turn up anything abnormal.
Thanks in advance,
Lindsay

Rabbler
01-12-2009, 23:33
LB7 engine is the one notorious for Injector problems. Most problems were on the 01-03 engines but any LB7 can have these problems. An extended warranty covers the LB7 injectors for 7/200K for most failures. LB7's generally get the best stock MPG.

The LLY (2nd generation) has a redesigned injector and cylinder head.
They tend to run hotter than most would like and can overheat if worked hard.

LBZ (3rg gen) is probably the best of the bunch. (My opinion anyway)
Beefed up internals, larger cooling system, more stock power, 6 speed auto trans. MPG isn't as good as LB7 though.

Take the truck to a Good Diesel Mechanic and get him to check it out.
Ask your local GM dealer to run the VIN and check warranty coverage and warranty history.

I wouldn't shy away from a good LB7 that hasn't been abused or been a warranty pig.

JohnC
01-13-2009, 09:37
One thing to add:
The 2006 LLY is actually a detuned LBZ and has nothing in common with the 2004.5-2005 LLY other than the power rating.

Mark Rinker
01-13-2009, 11:25
>>> ...or been a warranty pig.

I* am a warranty pig.

Love owning vehicles under warranty, and extracting every possible dime of my rightful service and repair coverage out of this prepaid 'insurance' policy.

:)

Mark Rinker
01-13-2009, 11:30
And lastly..... is the 04 i found a decent deal ? The truck is immaculate....

20K sounds like too much money for an '04 with those miles. The hauler body fits the specific purpose you are looking for - however it is an 'odd duck' in the marketplace, and has less broad market appeal as a result.

Without seeing the truck, I'd put it at about 16K, tops, in this market. That is for a clean, well serviced truck with new rubber...

chambie
01-13-2009, 13:08
Thanks for the input guys. Research shows the truck had the injectors replaced 11/06 @58,000 Miles. Seems foolish to look at "new to me" trucks after i finally have my 6.5 running well !!!! But, i really want a new truck !!!! :D

hapaschold
01-22-2009, 03:52
dont put too much stock in carfax reports.....

my sdl in signature was involved in a rear end accident that has yet to show up on carfax, but is in the police ncic ? network...car has been repaired well but if i knew of the accident i would have passed on buying it..

chambie
01-22-2009, 13:50
I don't have alot of faith in just Carfax reports. They are ok, but leave alot of info out. running the vin # at a dealer gets the info i want to see.
i have looked at some Fords ..... read some on their forums .. one i found is really nice... post the vin # and you'll get the oasis report e mailed to you. Thats a nice feature of the forum. Shows much more that a carfax ever would.