PDA

View Full Version : Injector Lines

El Rey
01-12-2009, 10:09
I am going to make new injector lines for a 82 and was wondering if there was anything tricky I should know. Someone once told me that they all have to be the same length, can't see why that would be true. The way I see it the system is basically a pressure system so as long as the lines can hold pressure there should be no other funny stuff. Hope someone knows the answer.

DmaxMaverick
01-12-2009, 23:18
They all MUST be the same length, have equal bend radii (average), be of annealed steel line, and heat treated after bending and fitting. Not doing this will increase the rate of failure (rupture at ~2K PSI), and cause a rough running engine due to timing, event duration and pop pressure inconsistencies.

A decent set at a salvage yard is probably less than the cost of material to make them yourself. NOS or aftermarket isn't too expensive, either.

arveetek
01-13-2009, 08:41
The injector lines will actually swell a bit with each pulse of injection. If you had a high speed, high def camera, one might actually be able to see the pulse go through the lines. Some timing meters use a clamp-on probe that fits over the injection line and senses when the pulse goes by. So that's why using equal length lines are important.

I definitely wouldn't try to make my own lines.

Casey

El Rey
01-13-2009, 15:29
Thanks for the info. I found a right up on the DB 2 and it works a little different than I thought. Junkyard lines it is.

john8662
01-13-2009, 19:39
There are also aftermarket new lines available for the 6.2L as well, I believe Dipatco makes these, I've seen them online.

J

Robyn
01-14-2009, 06:56
Yes it is a pressure system, BUTTTTT, the line length is very important as it is a major factor in the time it takes for the pressure pulse to reach the injector.

If you contemplate the wild and sometimes wierd spirals and bends that a diesel engine has in a set of lines and then think about the cost to do all that.
Designers would avoid that stuff like the plague if they could make them just long enough to reach from the IP to the injectors.

Unlike electricity that travels at the speed of light,fluid is rather like a slug.

Be sure you use a set of lines that are for the engine type you have.

6.2 lines are different length than 6.5TD

If its off to the bone yard get a complete set off the engine you strip and keep them together.

The lines are fastened in pairs with little clamps, keep them together and use some tape to mark the pairs as to which cylinders they came from.

Also make a map of the location on the IP that they connected to.

This will save a lot of fooling around when reistalling them on your engine.

The 6.2's have a longer injector body and subsequently the lines will be slightly shorter in length with a different angle on the end

Most all the Turbo 6.5's will have the same lines. The one exception may be the Van application.

Pickups and Burbs should all be the same from 92 and 93 for use with the DB2 and 94 and later for use with the DS4

Lines from a DS4 are not compatible with a DB2 application.

And again, dont mix and match, use the whole set.

Best and keep us posted.

Robyn