PDA

View Full Version : What Studs Front End 4X4

CaptnPea
01-07-2009, 14:22
Hey have some new front wheel bearing assemblies comming in, they don't seem to have the studs?

Anyone know what stud I should pick up?

stock wheels
'96 2500/8-lug Burb 4X4
Wheel Bearing: Timken SP580302 & 303

Thanks,
Captn.

diesel65
01-07-2009, 17:34
The hubs are not studded, they are bolted to the steering knuckle from the back side.

HH
01-07-2009, 17:51
I assume you mean the wheel studs, if so just pop out your old ones and replace in your new bearing assembly. You'll need to do that to install your rotor anyway.

Robyn
01-08-2009, 07:58
Yup
The rotors go on from the back side and the studs go through the rotor and the little splines press into the hub flange.

You can do this with a good healthy sized steel punch or other suitable heavy rod and a large hammer.

Place the hub down onto a suitable block of wood, then insert the studs and drive them through until they seat fully and the rotor is solid.

The proper way is to use a holding tool and press them in with a press and a special tool in the hydraulic press.

Well I do have a press but the old large punch and a club has worked well for so many years that I can have the rotors on in less time than it takes to set up the press.

BE SURE that after your done that you torque the wheel nuts well and then recheck them after a short time as they could loosen if any of the studs were not absolutely seated tight.

OHHHHH just a tid bit here.

A good way to keep from rounding off the hub/bearing retaining bolts is to use an impact socket that has been turned down on the OD so it will fit into the counter bore around the bolt heads.

Usually a 12 point socket will either round over the bolt head or break or both.

The impact sockets are 6 points and are very tough.

I have one that I turned down specifically for the wheel hub removal task.

Good luck

Robyn