PDA

View Full Version : better fuel mileage????

maverick_935
01-06-2009, 16:20
I don't know if anyone has found this yet or if aanything is valid in this butthey do make some claims for better mileage.

http://www.powerupdiesel.biz/

Runaway_Dmax
01-06-2009, 22:09
Looks like someone is using EFI Live to reprogram your ECM and renaming it.

Mark Rinker
01-07-2009, 07:01
...another shade tree EFI-live'r who believes he has cracked the code. Funny how guys in their garages with their brother-in-law's new Duramax are suddenly more knowledgeable about the ECM fueling tables - than all those GM engineers with test tracks, prototype trucks, equipment and budgets to test, refine and update their product that runs great at sea level or in Rocky Mountain National Park, starts at -20F and pulls an 18K# boat at 110F in Arizona on the way to Lake Pleasant...

Kennedy Diesel sells the best economy/+40 tow tune for the LB7 that I have tested - in all the conditions and elevations mentioned above. However, I suspect there is only so much that can be done for the emissions-laden later models with cat, EGR, DPF, etc. etc. LBZs are simply not 20+ mpg trucks in most cases.

If you want consistant unloaded 18-20mpg, buy a 2002-2004 LB7 2-wheel drive, and don't exceed 1800rpm at cruise.

Rabbler
01-07-2009, 09:47
With respect, but isn't this exactly what Kennedy does with his custom tuning?
You dismiss this guy but praise Kennedy in the same breath for essentially doing the same thing.
How do you know this guy's custom tune isn't as good or better than Kennedy?
Now I don't have any experience with either guy's product so I can't and won't comment on who's "the Man".

Unless you have first hand experience with this guys product (Or know someone who has) I don't think it's fair to bag on this guy or simply dismiss him as a back yard tuner.

Video was kinda cheezy though...

Runaway_Dmax
01-07-2009, 17:03
[QUOTE=Rabbler;248038]With respect, but isn't this exactly what Kennedy does with his custom tuning? Yes, but also states how he does it!
You dismiss this guy but praise Kennedy in the same breath for essentially doing the same thing. Doesn't mask his product with another name!
How do you know this guy's custom tune isn't as good or better than Kennedy? Don't know, just an observation on my part!
Now I don't have any experience with either guy's product so I can't and won't comment on who's "the Man". Check the different DMax sites and see who's talked about and is a vendor!

Unless you have first hand experience with this guys product (Or know someone who has) I don't think it's fair to bag on this guy or simply dismiss him as a back yard tuner. Don't have any experience with Kennedy's tuning, but have read on this site and others that are very happy ith his tuning. I do have experience with purchases of filters, shocks, and a headlight booster harness for my previous DMAX and I can say customer service is top notch

Video was kinda cheezy though.../QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree on the video, but who knows, he/she might know what they are doing!;)

Mark Rinker
01-07-2009, 18:46
With respect, but isn't this exactly what Kennedy does with his custom tuning?
You dismiss this guy but praise Kennedy in the same breath for essentially doing the same thing.
How do you know this guy's custom tune isn't as good or better than Kennedy?
Now I don't have any experience with either guy's product so I can't and won't comment on who's "the Man".

Unless you have first hand experience with this guys product (Or know someone who has) I don't think it's fair to bag on this guy or simply dismiss him as a back yard tuner.

Video was kinda cheezy though...

Point well taken, however, one is an unknown, making some LARGE economy claims...and the other is a known, who has made some real economy numbers, without alot of fanfare.

Who knows, maybe he has cracked the code...

Rabbler
01-07-2009, 20:34
What difference does it make if the guy gives it a name?
I believe the guy said right in his video he reprograms the PCM.
If Kennedy (and I hate to keep dragging him in here) calls his PCM modification the "Super Duper Kennedy Duramaximiser"! is it now a worthless product?

There was a time when nobody heard of Kennedy (There I go Again..)
either.

At least give the guy the benefit of the doubt until you hear otherwise...:rolleyes:

Mark Rinker
01-08-2009, 07:18
Yep. You made your point, and I agreed with you. "Who knows, maybe he has cracked the code..." ---- would be benefit of the doubt.

There are lots of guys out there with an expensive hammer and saw inside their toolbox. The tools are common. With those common tools, one guy will build a custom home, worth millions - while 20 other guys, with the very same tools - will manage a doghouse, or a bird feeder, at best. Same hammer. Same saw.

Same with EFI Live. Just a tool, waiting for the right application.

Rabbler
01-08-2009, 22:11
Actually that wasn't directed at you, Mark :o
Anyway point made, moving on......