PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak

Atwell557
01-03-2009, 12:27
I replaced the ip on my 89 suburan and now i have a fuel leak at the back of the injector pump around the injector lines, is there any good way to find out witch one it is? And can you run this engine with the intake off, i was,nt sure because of the egr ports coming out of the heads.

jogl
01-04-2009, 04:46
If it were me I'd take all the lines back off. Re-clean them and check that they are not damaged and then replace.

I've been trying to get mine to run with the intake off. I'll let you know about that. Two things for sure, on a cold start it will be smoky and noisy.

Good Day,
JP.

rhsub
01-04-2009, 23:57
Yes you can run it with intake off, I've done it many times, just make 100% sure there is nothing laying in the valley or around the engine or in your shirt pocket that can sucked into a port because a loose rag or a pen sucked in will cause extensive internal damage. GM actually has a shop tool that is 8 steel screens that bolt over the ports to allow you to run the engine with the intake off.
You can clean the lines off with brake cleans and compressed air but don't spray brake cleans on lines with engine running. Brake cleans burns and will cause engine to rev up
Make sure when you tighten lines that your wrench isn't hitting the next fitting. I used a crowsfoot line wrench and/or a angle wrench (head is approx 90' to shank of wrench)
Good luck
Ron