PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 or 4bt?

02duramaxdump
01-01-2009, 20:40
Hi, I have a 85 k30 chevy I plan on plowing snow with next year. The truck has a 454 in it right now that runs like crap so it's gotta go. I can get a 4bt that comes with a tranny from a guy (that I sold it to a year ago, I took it out of a bread truck myself) for 900 bucks, or buy a reman 6.2 with 12k miles on off another guy for 600. I am leaning towards the cummins....just wanted some feedback. Thanks

ChomperDog
01-02-2009, 04:16
Hi, I have a 85 k30 chevy I plan on plowing snow with next year. The truck has a 454 in it right now that runs like crap so it's gotta go. I can get a 4bt that comes with a tranny from a guy (that I sold it to a year ago, I took it out of a bread truck myself) for 900 bucks, or buy a reman 6.2 with 12k miles on off another guy for 600. I am leaning towards the cummins....just wanted some feedback. Thanks

I think you should go with the 6.2 and sell me the 4bt for $900.00...:D

jogl
01-02-2009, 07:01
Is this a trick question? Get that Cummins in there pronto! What tranny does it come with? On the W250 that I plow snow with I have an auto. I sure wouldn't want to be pedaling a clutch and working a stick while trying to work the plow buttons.

Good Day,
JP.

02duramaxdump
01-02-2009, 09:12
Yah, I have plowed with a stick for 10 years, this is the first year with the auto...and man it's nice. The 4 bt has a turbo 400 on it. I have owned a dozen dodges with cummins power and they have always treated me well. I thought it would be kind of a no brainer putting the 4bt in. Does anyone know if the motor mounts off the p30 step van will mount right up with a k30 frame? If it's gonna take mods it's no big deal, I have a welding shop....was just curious.

wthif
01-02-2009, 19:09
go to www.4btswaps.com (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/www.4btswaps.com) and have a look around.

I'm putting a 4bt into my truck and taking my time, but it can be done quick. The biggest problem I see is the engine cross-member gets in the way without a body lift. I removed mine and I'm going to design a different one to get away from a body lift and hopefully much of a suspension lift.

In your situation I wouldn't use the 4bt I would go with a 6bt.