PDA

View Full Version : How long will it last?

ThePIGSmith
12-27-2008, 12:50
I got my '93 GMC Van up and going.

The issue I have with my 6.2L and thus my posting, is that it seems to start hard in colder weather and when it starts, (warm or cold) it idles rough until I give it some fuel.
After I goose it a little, it idles just fine.
It blows out grayish smoke until it warms up.

Once warm, it idles fine, runs smooth, seem to have plenty of power to me.
I am happy with the way it performs once it warms up.

After dong some reading here, what I am experiencing is typical for a 6.2L with 198K miles.
No doubt the IP and injectors needs some help.
My question: How will it last before it hand grenades?
Is it possible to live to the hard starts, rough idle if it performs well warmed up?

My van is just a beater/hauler and I do not want to drop thousands of $$$ on a remaned IP or a new set of injectors.

Jambi
12-27-2008, 14:50
Well, you could probably get or rebuild a pump and install rebuild injectors for less than $1000. Upgrade the glow plugs to the 60G's for between $60-$80 and modify the glow controller to allow longer glow times (okay with the 60G's) for basically free.

You could probably accomplish it all for under a grand, what's is worth to you?

My question: How will it last before it hand grenades?

who knows? what else is wrong with it? The motor is known to have mainweb problems and if one of those lets go....then yea it'll grenade but these are all what-ifs.

ThePIGSmith
12-27-2008, 15:44
who knows? what else is wrong with it? The motor is known to have mainweb problems and if one of those lets go....then yea it'll grenade but these are all what-ifs.
What else is wrong with the motor? Nothing that noobie like me can tell.

Just got back from a trip to Wally World, returning some Christmas gifts.
IMHO, the way the motor performed on the Interstate, it is healthy to me.
Yes it may have cracks in the webs and other bigger issues and when those go, it all goes.
I understand that.

Allow me to rephrase my question:
How long do folks here think the Injector Pump and Injectors will last before they fail.
I consider this hard starting, rough idle and smoking on startup the early tale tale signs of a failure.
But, someone here may say, no those are the signs of old age and I could just live with it.

ChomperDog
12-28-2008, 04:50
Based on your description of the problem it sounds like your glow plug circuit could use some basic troubleshooting. I'd start there before worrying about the IP and injectors.

Robyn
12-28-2008, 07:59
Yess be sure the glow plugs are working properly.
Now that said, a 6.2/6.5 with 198K on the clock is definately in need of an IP and a set of squirts. (injectors)

The best glow plug circuit in the world will not light a fire if the injectors are popping at too low of a pressure.

When the injectors Pop low they also shoot a pee stream of fuel instead of a nice fine mist in a cone around the Glow plug and the Pre cup area.

This acounts for the hard start, rough cold idle and gray smoke.

Once the IP is back up to par and the squirts are doing their job right the little creature will run fine.

Be sure that you are getting 12V to the Cold advance solenoid and the fast idle solenoid. Green wires on the IP should have 12V with ign on (cold)
If not the switch on the back RH corner of the RH head is likely to blame.
This switch opens at around 120F and shuts off the cold advance.

The switch is a small roundish device with 2 prongs and threads into the head near the exhaust manifold)
If you have a switch on the top RH rear of that same head its a glow inhibit switch. Bypass this with a jumper as it is a source of agravation.

Dont spend a metric buttload of $$$$ on trick glow plugs. The 60G's are just fine.

Yank the injectors and have them tested. If they are bad, and I bet they are, the IP will need service too.
The advance piston bore wears out as does other things and then it's just downhill from there.

You will see a big improvement in power, mileage and the startup will be great again.

Best

Robyn