PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 cylinder sleeves

jweber
12-22-2008, 11:43
I have a cracked cylinder wall in a 6.2 block. Can it be sleeved? If so what is the part number of the sleeve, and who has them?

jogl
12-22-2008, 17:21
Yes it probably can be sleeved. Any good machine shop could do it and would be able to come up with the parts. Be sure to take your wallet with you.

JP.

jweber
12-23-2008, 09:36
TKS.
Found a sleeve at Darton cylinder sleeves ( 1 877 354-3812 ) $ 23.34 each + shipping. I have the equipment to do the work. I did all four in my 4 cylinder jeep engine in the late 60's, but not any until now. I have four 6.2 non-turbo now, one with 340,000 miles in a 85 burb, and it runs like a swiss watch, and will still get 20 plus around town. one in a M1009 with only 40,000 on it. I want to build one up just in case. Have no reason to get rid of any. I also have an 96 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a 12 valve in it, it is my puller.

jogl
12-23-2008, 10:58
You have a boring machine? Oh man that would be nice!

What kind of a machine is it?

JP.

jweber
12-23-2008, 12:25
It's a Kwik-Way number FL. It will go out to over 6.5 inches. I bought it about a year ago. I used this type of equipment back in college. I work for the State now but am planning to retire. I want to get back into the equipment repair world part time.

Robyn
12-23-2008, 14:57
Not to toss cold water on the campfire, BUTT, before you spend the big bucks to bore and sleave the block, see if you can find a good bare block.

I am not a fan of sleaving these engines. I have seen it done and
work, but, I have also seen the head bolt holes crack out afterwards.

I would look for a good block before spending the $$ on the bore and sleave

jweber
12-24-2008, 14:47
TKS.
I have the tools, and have done it in the past, just need to get up to speed again. I have an engine that is running now, pumping a little air into the cooling system. No water in the oil, no loss in the cooling system, even under pressure from a tester? If I pump shop air in through the glow plug, I get a lot of bubbles in the cooling system. I put a camera in it and it looks like it might be cracked, I will not know until I take it apart. Might be a head or gasket, I have both built up now. I want to be ready in case. I think starting with a bare block might cost more than I will spend on the one I have. One I know nothing about might need more machining than the one I now have. Cracking out was a issuue we worried about with my jeep engine, but over the last 40 years in never happened. Do you have an idea on the OD the sleeve need to be to avoid the cracking issue? I can turn the OD down on one. I plan to step sleeve even with the interference fit like I did in the jeep. That way the lip at the bottom holds the sleeve from slipping down into the crankcase and the head holds it down, keeping it from slipping up, in case of loss of oil or something.

Robyn
12-25-2008, 08:52
If you keep the sleave thickness to a minimum you could get it to fly.

Definately, the step is the way to go.

My experience in the past has taken me to look at a few that were sleaved and the sleaves were probably too thick as the bolt holes all cracked into the overbore area..

Good luck with the little creature.

Best

Robyn

jweber
12-29-2008, 09:32
Everyone, Any idea on the max OD of the sleeve? Or the max I can bore the cylinder? I ordered the sleeve but have not received it yet, so I have no idea on the OD. Did not think to ask, had no idea about the splitting problem. I am sure somebody that designs sleeves for this application should have already thought about this issue, but then again...

DmaxMaverick
12-29-2008, 12:25
If your boring takes the cylinder wall beyond a safe limit (in regards to the head bolt holes), consider thread inserts for the head bolt holes. Robyn did a very nice writeup on "Lock n' Stitch" thread inserts designed for this very purpose. If there's room, this may just be the ticket. Have a look at THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=32983).

jweber
01-12-2009, 16:51
Got the sleeve. It's a Melling CSL 1152 3/32" thick. The CSL 2252 is 1/8" thick. Instructions on the Melling web site are well done. Checked out the site on the bolt hole inserts, give me a lot of info to review. Plan to take the heads off in March, I will let everyone know what happened. Thanks to all for the help.

jweber
01-15-2009, 09:19
Everyone. Got the sleeve from Melling CSL 1152 3/32" thick. OD is 4.1657 ID is 3.9464 Block needs to go out .1867 .003 fit After inserting sleeve it needs to be bored .0296 back to 3.9760 std bore 6.2. Sleeve cost with shipping about $30.00. The CSL 2252 is 1/8" thick.