PDA

View Full Version : Snow plowing with Allison 1000

Mark Rinker
12-20-2008, 13:11
Thought I would post regarding MRE methods of plowing with the Allison 1000. Here are a couple things that I consider important enough to tell our crew:

On cold startup, allow a few minutes of idle time, and then only slow, easy driving to the first plow job to get fluid circulating, engine warmed up and lubricants flowing in diffs and transfer case, before putting the truck under a plowing load;
Use 4HI and Tow/Haul setting ON at all times. Noticably lower tranny temps as a result when plowing, compared to leaving it off. I attribute this to the torque converter staying locked, and less shearing/heating of fluid as a result, when there is minimal airflow over the cooler stack in low speed, back and forth plowing conditions;
Approach each lot with a method to minimize reversing. Many times you can develop a method of circles, lift and dropping the plow, and nearly eliminating reversing, which is also a hazard in retail/foot traffic situations at malls and gas stations;
Pause and let the Allison completely shift from R to D and vice versa, before applying any acceleration. No reason for wheel spin.
Trans temps shouldn't exceed 200F during normal conditions. If it does, stop and let the truck idle until it drops back to 180F.
If sander equipped, don't plow with it loaded. The truck has enough weight for the job, 3000# of sand is harder on truck, plow, etc. If conditions are icy or otherwise severe and you need the extra weight, add only 1000# the center of gravity is lower and its all the extra weight needed for traction.
Generally, we do not plow with winter front on, but certainly this is temperature dependent. One advantage is quicker warm-ups, and less salt/sand in the cooler stack. Detriment is even less airflow during low speed, loaded operation. Horse apeice thing. Watch temps if you decide to run it on.Gentle operations saves trucks, plows, etc. No reason for harsh operation, it doesn;t get the job done any better or quicker. Most breakdowns are due to operators that aren't concerned about the repair bill...tie their seasonal bonu$ to safe and careful operations, and remind them they are paid by the hour and no reason to get 'rammy' with expensive equipment...

Have fun out there...:)

MikeC
12-21-2008, 09:49
Some great points made.

I have always followed some of them even though I do not plow. They all seem to point to one common thought.

Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Also can be phrased as: Be gentle on your equipment and it will gentle with you, specifically your wallet.

Happy Holidays,

Mike