PDA

View Full Version : 2004.5/2005 LLY Cooling Solutions

More Power
12-18-2008, 13:23
The newest issue of Diesel World magazine, February 2009 issue, contains an article entitled "Project TowMax - Turning a 2005 Duramax Into a Towing Monster".

If you own an LLY, you'll want to pick up a copy.

The thrust of the article focuses on the radiator, fan and fan shroud, and upgrading to factory 2006-2007 LBZ components, showing what's involved in installing the parts. The LBZ uses a larger radiator, larger fan and larger fan shroud. In addition, you'll need the LBZ fan clutch, which is also larger and able to handle the larger fan. There are a few other items discussed that are required to install the larger parts.

According to the article, the LLY used a 19" fan, where the LBZ used one with a 23" diameter. The LBZ radiator grew by an additional 4" in height and 7/8" in thickness.

Pacific Performance Diesel www.PPEDiesel.com (http://www.PPEDiesel.com) can modify your truck with these parts, if you live near them or are within driving distance.

Jim

Mark Rinker
12-18-2008, 15:10
Sounds like a good read - and familar topics to those that applied late model 6.5L updates (dual thermostats, HD fan clutch) to the early models...

Duramaster
12-18-2008, 21:18
That's all well and good, but just wait until you have to change the serpentine belt, waterpump, P/S pump or any other belt driven accessory. Not a fun job! But hey................ No overheat! :D

More Power
06-20-2013, 11:18
I was asked about LLY cooling earlier today, and I sent a link to this thread to him.

In thinking about the solutions discussed here, I think an LLY owner could add parts in stages - to save money and time. At some point in the process, you'll arrive at a cooling level that works for you.

The fan, shroud and radiator would be my first choice(s) in the process.

Jim