PDA

View Full Version : 02 Duramax no heat

Thunderbolt08
12-15-2008, 09:28
Here is the deal. This is not my truck and I am trying to help a friend who is currently in Iraq. We were up deer hunting in Northern Minnesota and his truck had sat about 4 days. He started it to let it warm up, but it would not warm up and produced no heat. He started driving it home and while driving the low coolant light came on and the temp gauge shot up so he shut it down. There was antifreeze running on the ground from the overflow. He let it cool and added almost two gallons and started it up. The engine warmed up and had heat with no leaks for the hour drive home and as he was getting into town the the heat quit working and the engine started running hot again. He took it to a small garage and they coudn't find anything wrong. It is now at another shop and he has left for Iraq. His dad and I are overseeing what is done, but neither of us know anything about diesels. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be ?? He said the is no white smoke out the exaust and no heater core leak. The first shop said the cooling system was holding pressure as well. Thanks for any help. I tryed searching , but didn't know what to search for.

Dura-Ration
12-15-2008, 09:50
The Duramax has two thermostats, replace both and refill cooling system with distilled water until you figure it fixed. Then replace with Dexcool coolant. This is my first guess you should try. They are located in the front of engine (as usal) where the upper Radiator hose is attached to thermostat housing. Remove bolts that hold down housing and remove it to expose the thermostats and O-ring. Replace and try again.
Steve

Dura-Ration
12-15-2008, 09:52
Oh and Welcome to the forum.

Thunderbolt08
12-15-2008, 12:06
Thanks for the help.