PDA

View Full Version : newer to forums, looking for expert opinions

James Schaack
10-21-2003, 14:20
hey guys,

1. I joined this forum about two months ago after buying my '93 chevy 2500 w/ 6.5td I have been reading post after post looking for things I should check on my "older" truck. I am pushing 150,00 miles and was wondering what I should be looking at and concerned about.

2. I read a post awhile ago about somebody having a lack of power then at certain times in in low gears they had an incredible boost of power that threw them back in the seat. Well, I am having the same issue and I can't find that post. Can somebody tell me what to look at. If I remember right it was something to do with an oil pressure switch or something like that.

3. I like all the information I am picking up from you guys and want to check the stuff out on my truck but half the time I don't kwow where it is or what it is. Can anybody refer me to a GOOD manual for 6.5TD engines?

4. I read a lot about you guys checking your "codes." How and were do you do that? Do you need special tools or testers?

Sorry for the length but I am a very curious diesel owner!!! Thanks in advance :D

James Schaack
10-21-2003, 14:26
I forgot one last thing. My truck seems to be loosing anti-freeze but I haven't seen any leaks or puddles. It seems to go down about a two inches in the radiator and not get any lower than that. Anyone have an idea where it is going?

Thanks!!

catmandoo
10-21-2003, 17:02
ames i'm up in storm lake anyway mine is one that will throw you back in the seat.the truck will work perfectly 99 percent of the time ,and i can get it to surge at will to do this is,say i'm cruisin down the freeway and come to my exit i let off the fuel pedal and put it in neutral and coast to a stop. when i take off and just before i grab 2nd gear it will surge and after i hit 2nd it will still pull hard for the first 2 or 3 seconds then its fine, i've tried pretty much every thing thats been suggested and still there so i just live with it and shift before i know it's gonna do it,cuz i know it's gonna do it.main thing suggested is cdr valve on the right valve cover by the way mine is a 92 6.5 non turbo that now has a banks turbo.

goodmonkey
10-21-2003, 17:31
3. I like all the information I am picking up from you guys and want to check the stuff out on my truck but half the time I don't kwow where it is or what it is. Can anybody refer me to a GOOD manual for 6.5TD engines? Others might argue with me, but what I would recommend for a good manual would be the original shop manuals that you can find from Helm, at http://helminc.com. Hope this is helpful to you. smile.gif

DChristie
10-21-2003, 18:22
James,
Welcome!
#4 How do we check the codes? I'll try and link you to it here http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/trblcode.htm the only special tool required is a paperclip.
have a pen and paper handy too. enjoy your new truck.

triggerman
10-21-2003, 20:39
Hi James,
The first place I would start is the boost from the turbo. The small lever and vac can on the turbo should be disconected to see if the op lever is opening and closeing the wast gate in the turbo with out sticking. If it works freely, a cheap boost gauge from JC Whitney ($18) will tell you if you are getting radical boost readings, should average 3 to 10 LBs on average cruise / accelerations. If your serious about learning about your 6.5 , go to feature articles and product reviews books and buy them. These books (starting in 1997) are loaded with pics and ALOT of info on all sorts of probs and mods. Also the R&R book on the 6.2/6.5 is also supposed to be a great referance. These books are the cheapest education you can buy on these trucks PERIOD. Shop manuals are the last $$ word of course, But for the basic DIY, there great. besides being enjoyable reading.

James Schaack
10-22-2003, 05:39
thanks guys, i'll take your suggestions into account. it will give me a reason to play in the garage instead of doing my school work! :D

cruzer
10-22-2003, 09:49
James, I don't think you can pull codes on a 93.
Your engine is mechanically injected and does not run on a computer. The computer in your truck primarily operates the trans & interior components. Mechanical injection IMO is a good thing. They're easier to work on.

The main thing you need to make sure is good is the cooling system. You need to find out where the coolant is going. Make sure the rad is clean inside and out. Debug rad,a/c condenser and oil coolers. Pre 97 trucks have weaker cooling systems and overheating can take out the motor. It did in my case. After you figure out where
the A/F is going and get it fixed, then get exhaust temp and boost gages. This will help with other diagnosis. They will also be needed for any other performance mods in the future.

AS for #2 check out the troubleshooting guide in the members area. Could be air filter,fuel filter
OPS/lift pump and/or wastgate controller plus more major stuff. If it is the W/Gate controller
look into a turbo master and gauges, then a new mandrel bent exhaust downpipe. It will really wake your truck up.

[ 10-22-2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: cruzer ]

ucdavis
10-22-2003, 11:24
Loss of coolant w/out a leak usually means a leak you can't see. Either a very fine pinhole somewhere that'll probably have a fine white chalky look around it, or (hope not) leaking head gasket or cracked head or block. You can usually find some visual evidence of coolant in the oil for the gasket/crack problem tho some are so slight you'll need engine oil analysis to find it. Under any circumstances, loss of coolant is serious stuff as it allows air in coolant jackets that can allow a hot spot in head or block to develope, leading to high wear @ that spot or worse.

James Schaack
10-22-2003, 16:18
when i check my oil, i have been looking for signs or a cracked block/headgasket problem (foamy oil) but i haven't seen anything. i'm going to check over the system and components to see if i can find the problem. thanks for your help guys!

catmandoo
10-22-2003, 17:28
my 92 loses coolant at a very slow rate if i fill the jug it might take a month and a half to be down to add .and iv'e noticed that the thermostat gasket is seeping i can wipe it off and in a day its damp.i'm waiting to put in the gear drive set and a new balancer to fix this.only feel like getting into it once.

tbuck
10-22-2003, 17:50
I too have a 93 and have ran codes on it also. In one of the previous posts, it showed the article that will tell you how to use it. I haven't had any codes come up on my truck yet, but whenever something acts up, I check it.
As for the coolant leak, you may want to pull the radiator and check it for leaks. I bought my truck in April, and soon found out the radiator was bad. It didn't leak much, but when I put a new one on it made a huge difference. (the inside was very corroded!)Pulling the radiator also makes it easier to get all the bugs out.
I would definately get an oil analysis done on the oil. If you do have a head leak or cracked block, it will show in the analysis. It will tell you if glycol is in the oil.
My truck leaks a little coolant also but I know it's at the T-stat. I'll get around to fixing that as soon as hunting season ends.

James Schaack
10-22-2003, 20:00
tbuck,

what prongs do you jump when you run codes on your '93? i tried to do it like the '94's but it didn't work.

when you replaced your radiator, did you put a stock one back in or an aftermarket? where is a good place to look for one?

where can you get an oil analysis done to check for coolant in the oil?

where do you live/what do you hunt?? i'm going deer, pheasant, and turkey hunting this weekend! :D

triggerman
10-23-2003, 20:01
go to avlube.com for the oil analisis. great out fit to do business with.

G B Sisson
10-23-2003, 22:29
Ive got James beat at being a new guy, I joined today. Im new to computers and diesels,but am getting a quick education on stalling,FSD's and PMD's. My 6.5 2500 4x4 Suburban (94) has driven me to the internet for solutions....What a resource. Ive just learned what forums are a few months ago while collecting info on an old WW 2 BSA Motorcycle...another nightmare..Tomorrow I install op switch and New pmd and fsd cooler. I just learned about "codes 10 minutes ago now I get it thanks so much..Gary