PDA

View Full Version : Bio diesel finally got my return lines!

arveetek
12-12-2008, 07:58
It took about three years, but our home-brewed biodiesel finally broke down the return lines on my 6.2L. What's funny is that they all started seeping at the same time. They looked like those soaker hoses you put in your garden...they were oozing fuel all over the place. I ordered some Viton hose from Greaseworks.org and replaced all the lines last night. All my larger fuel lines still seem to be in good shape.

I also noticed last night how little I drive the '81 anymore. I've averaged 2500 miles per year for the last two years. Since my wife bought a minivan, I've been driving the Tahoe. But the '81 is still fun to drive! Lots of power...runs circles around the 6.5L.

Casey

Subzilla
12-12-2008, 11:02
Mine lasted less than a year! The Viton has been just dandy.

Still liking the biodiesel making, especially this past summer/fall with the rich petro diesel prices.

arveetek
12-12-2008, 11:56
I think my hoses lasted longer since they were brand new in March of 05.

Yep, I still like making the fuel, especially with the $4.50 fuel we had this summer. Our biggest problem is keeping a steady source of oil. Restaurants open and then close, and then other people come in and snatch our oil...

Casey

raunch
12-15-2008, 13:01
Got mine right away; with 1000 miles they started to leak. Ane then it was one after the other also. I have yet to replace the cap on the last nipple of each side. I couldn't find an actual manf'd cap, so I am just going to use a short section of the biodiesel hose with a brass plug in the end.

trentc
12-17-2008, 23:49
Got mine right away; with 1000 miles they started to leak. Ane then it was one after the other also. I have yet to replace the cap on the last nipple of each side. I couldn't find an actual manf'd cap, so I am just going to use a short section of the biodiesel hose with a brass plug in the end.

What are they made of?

Subzilla
12-18-2008, 07:20
Viton is what most BDer's use for fuel line.