PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

SuperPRO56
12-09-2008, 15:43
Just got the truck back from Daves Diesel in Angola, IN after a stretch with bad glow plugs. While they had it in the shop they found out the high pressure pump is on its last leg. The truck is an '02 that currently has an Edge Juice w/attitude controller and a 4" MBRP down pipe back exhaust. I have a choice here, put a stock pump back in or upgrade now for future mods. Looking for some input on a good route to go with this project. I dont plan on getting crazy with this truck, but would like to get it above 500 RWHP at some point without NO2. Would a pump swap be possible by untrained professionals or is this something better left to a shop? Any suggestions on brand or where to buy?

madmatt
12-09-2008, 20:41
The pumps are easy to change and a modded pump is no different to install. What led them to believe the pump is shot??? I'd throw another stocker on it and start saving for a dual pump setup.

Duramaster
12-09-2008, 22:13
I have to agree. Pump failure isn't common under NORMAL conditions. Have you taken a fuel sample and had it checked for major metal particulate in the fuel? There is a bulletin out about high pressure pump failure. but it is geared towards the 2006 and newer DMAX applicatons.

SuperPRO56
12-10-2008, 05:04
It got really cold up here and when we tried to start the truck no luck. Got it inside where it set for about a hour and if fired up. The hard to start got us thinking about the glow plugs and when the shop had it in there, a code come up for the high pressure pump.

Duramaster
12-10-2008, 07:23
What is the exact code (s)? :confused:

Kennedy
12-10-2008, 08:48
I would be highly suspicious of this diagnosis. I'd be more inclined to think it was fuel quality/filter related. I'd add a good lift pump setup before I would replace the pump itself. A good lift pump setup will be a requirement on the way to 500HP anyhow so you are not wasting money.

SuperPRO56
12-10-2008, 10:15
I will get the codes tonight, and I have in no way set this in stone. They had found some of the glow plugs were not functional, which would explain my hard to start condition. However, while in the process of looking for the malfunction this came up. Explained to me it was a drop in fuel pressure under load, which sounds like a P0089 trouble code. If that turns out to be the case, is that pump related or somewhere else?

I had been looking at the FASS setup to compliment the stock fuel setup, would this be a good thing to get installed now? I cant rely on a truck that wont start on cold days even after fuel has been treated. Hopefully, the glow plug issue will resolve that. Looking down the road, the pump will need replaced to get the power levels I want to acheive so why not do it now?

SuperPRO56
12-10-2008, 15:45
OK, the codes that came up were a P0236 Boost sensor out of range, tech said probably caused by dirty air filter. Second code was a P1093 fuel pressure low while power enrich. They had tested at the shop and fuel pressure was within spec. Had ran into problems with this initial technician and decided to get a second opinion. However, the second opinion was also able to get the P1093 code which led them to believe it was the high pressure pump. I will have all of the paperwork on the truck by tomorrow if you need any further information.

As a background for this truck, as it sits it currently has 130,000k on the odometer and was in the shop about 10,000 miles ago for a warranty injector replacement.

DmaxMaverick
12-10-2008, 16:12
Those codes are very common for a truck in need of service. A need for fuel and air filters will cause them, especially when running a power adder (Juice), demands are higher than normal (stock), for both air and fuel. I've seen a lot of the HP pumps replaced, and only one of them really needed it. Filters, injectors, FPR, or fuel quality are most often to blame. A good tech using the correct diagnostic procedure will usually sort it out.

madmatt
12-10-2008, 17:23
yep sounds like you need a filter change and a lift pump.