PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 blocks/heads

Jcode
12-08-2008, 23:52
Hey guys, newbie here. Just bought a 85 K30 cucv. Have been doing alot of research and I'm a little concerned about the cracked block/ head issues on the 6.2. I'm not at all worried about the possiblity of having to replace things like the IP, glow plugs, injectors, balancer, etc. But, the thought of having a cracked block concerns me... How common is it? Are the cucv's any less prone to cracking? The truck is running fine, no oil in antifreeze or water in oil that I can tell. Should I drop the pan and take off the valve covers and take a look or just drive it and not worry about it as long as it keeps running good? Appreciate the help.

john8662
12-09-2008, 06:52
Drive it and don't worry about it.

The cracking issue is only an issue when completely rebuilding an engine.

Cracks rarely cause a failure, but are undesirable in spending the money to reman an entire engine if found.

The cracks that the heads experience is not visible from up top, only upon complete removal of the head. Some heads crack between the valves, which is a common, yet not life threatening crack, there is a fix that can be performed during rebuilding.

Robyn
12-09-2008, 07:51
I agree 100%

Run the little creature until it flies apart :eek:

I have owned a lot of these things and have been into some that had a Bazillion miles on them.

Found some with cracked main webs and others without.
Seen these things run a long time so I would not get all worried.

Best

Robyn

DieselCrawler
12-09-2008, 08:08
I have a CUCV... pulled the motor when I put a turbo on it a few years ago, found main web cracks, thought "huh" and put it all back together... 20K plus miles later, not running it easy, it was a work truck and now back to a playtoy/woods truck/beater, and no problems, maybe a little blow-by... hit 1200 plus on the EGT gauge a few times, boost tops out at about 9 PSI, almost 10 PSI...

Like Robyn and John said, run it! And stick a turbo on it if you don't already have one, it's gonna make it a whole new to drive truck!

Jcode
12-09-2008, 21:32
Thanks guys! Great info!