PDA

View Full Version : Here’s a good one:

mobilevet
12-01-2008, 13:28
Here’s a good one:

About 8 -10 mo ago I was having problems with the truck throwing codes 35 and 36, “missing”, de-fueling, then coming back, etc. I had just bought the truck and it had a “new” FSD (FSD #1) in use and mounted to the intake manifold (SSDiesel version) and an “old” FSD (FSD #2) mounted on the firewall - not in use. I had no info from the previous owner about this setup. I disconnected the “new” FSD (#1) and connected the “old” FSD (#2) to the IP and since then have had no problems (of this sort). At the same time I also replaced the wiring harness that plugs into the top of the IP (optical sensor?).

Two days ago I was coming down the road and started having problems. Similar symptoms: “miss”, de-fueling, going dead, etc, but would re-start at this time. It threw these codes: 23, 35, 36, and 85 (in that order when manually checked). So I changed the fuel filter – which was very dirty – and hoped that was it.

Today when I went to drive the truck this is what happened:

- Cranked, went dead, re-started and seemed to run fine.
- Drove about 6 miles down the road and it went dead and would not re-start. ... Coasted to a stop - tried again strong turning over but still no start.
- I rechecked the codes and got the same ones. From this I figured that it might be the latest code (first to flash) – which was an accelerator circuit fault – that was the problem
- I got someone to tow me about 5 miles where I parked the truck for about 1 ½ hours
- During this time I got a replacement accelerator from my local mechanic off a junk and tried to crank it again with the “new” accelerator – it did not start
- So, I began trouble-shooting: re-bled the fuel filter – fuel came out immediately, disconnected the wiring from the top of the IP to “bypass” it – still no start
- Finally I put the original FSD (FSD #1, the one I had pulled off almost a year earlier) back on plugged it up and it started right up (with the borrowed accelerator).

I drove it home (about 10 miles) with no problems. Once back I:

- Took off the borrowed accelerator and put the original one back on – started fine
- Next I unplugged FSD #1 and plugged the IP back into FSD #2 – started fine
- So I reversed the FSD’s again and still – started fine

Now, what do I do?? Buy a new FSD? I’ve got two that are working…. sometimes - I guess??…. I need a genius.

Update: I took the borrowed accelerator back and spoke to my mechanic about this, his thought was a bad connection in the wiring...????

JohnC
12-01-2008, 14:54
Codes are displayed in numerical order and it is recommended they be addressed in the same order. Otherwise, the order is meaningless.

I think APP codes can be generated if you're pumping the throttle when the PCM is doing the self test on power up. Regardless, it should still start.

35 and 36 are fuel solenoid closure issues. Sounds like at least one, maybe both FSD's are bad, or possibly the wiring to the FSD.

85 is a trans code, probably a red herring.

Enough to drive you batty....

rustyk
12-01-2008, 19:16
I guess I'm qualified to say "crank" - I had a '60 Peugeot 403 that had a crank for emergency starting. I had to use it one time.

JohnC
12-01-2008, 20:05
Years ago I had a customer tell me "it cranks but it won't turn over..."

Had a TR-3 with a crank. Worked better than the Lucas starter!

Hubert
12-01-2008, 20:58
PMD/FSD are flaky and once they show signs of fault its like a liar and cheat you can never trust them again. Sure you can forgive them and reuse em and they might work for a while but still can't trust 'em to be there for you.

I had one that would stall. Wouldn't start up until you unplugged it and replugged it up. Then it started immediately and ran fine for a while.

Best to get a good one (a new one) mount it in a preffered way and see where you are as to what codes come back.

Unfortuneately FSD/PMD doesn't usually give codes when bad so possible wiring or IP or some combination of all of the above.

trbankii
12-02-2008, 08:54
I guess I'm qualified to say "crank" - I had a '60 Peugeot 403 that had a crank for emergency starting. I had to use it one time.

When I was a kid, my father's Citroen had a crank. Interestingly, it was tied into the vehicle's hydraulic suspension. You'd crank it and it would pump up the suspension. Then get in the car, turn the key on, and dump the suspension - the pump would turn the engine over. Pretty slick!

JohnC
12-02-2008, 11:37
French cars.... 'Nough said!

rustyk
12-03-2008, 21:15
Had a TR-3 with a crank. Worked better than the Lucas starter!
Ah, Lucas, Prince of Darkness,,,I once worked as the "electrical guy" at a dealership that sold Alfas, Jags, and M-B. I fixed just one M-B; oddly enough, Lucas electrics in the Alfas were pretty much trouble-free. But the Jags (and occasional MG or Triumph), well, they paid the bills :D.

trbankii
12-04-2008, 06:08
Ah, Lucas, Prince of Darkness...

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"
Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.
The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.
Lucas dip-switch positions: LOW and BLOW
The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.
"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...
If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.
Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.
Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"
Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.
Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Lucas engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.
Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."
Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
How to make world hunger disappear? Give it a Lucas parts number.
Recently, Lucas won out over Bosch to supply the electrical for the new Volkswagens. So, now the cars from the Black Forest will come with electrics supplied by the Lord of Darkness -- how appropriate!
Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.
The Prince's last words to his son: "don't go riding after dark"
Lucas jokes: black humor.

JohnC
12-04-2008, 09:21
oddly enough, Lucas electrics in the Alfas were pretty much trouble-free.

Weren't they Marelli?

rustyk
12-08-2008, 20:49
In my day (late '60s), Lucas.

rustyk
12-08-2008, 20:53
Lucas jokes: black humor.

Not quoting the whole post here, but it was GREAT! Thanks!

I once had to replace a windshield wiper motor on a Jag. This was in the days before plugs that matched up. There were, IIRC, 14 wires, and none matching the color of the harness. I suspect the car's owner couldn't "get" the charge for five hours labor to replace the motor - 4.5 of which were my tracing connections.