PDA

View Full Version : GMC Hauler: an Autoenginuity question....

Dimsdale
09-03-2005, 13:07
GMC Hauler:

I have a question for you. I just got my AutoEnginuity scan tool, and would like to check a few things before I start monkeying with the settings.

I put a new pump in a few weeks ago. Scribed the timing cover and put the new IP in exactly the same position as the old one. Runs fine etc., but I get an Actual IP timing of 12 deg, and a TDC offset of -1.26.

First, is the 12 deg ref to BTDC, or would that be a negative number? I find it hard to believe it would run at 12 deg ATDC, so I am assuming it means -12 deg.

Should I set the base timing the hard way (pump turning), or can this (and should this) be set via the Injection Pump Time Set or Desired IP timing setting? Should this be done with the engine running or ignition on only? Figured I better check with the expert first! The AutoEnginuity scan tool is great, but the instructions for specific controls is a bit sparse.

I figure that once the actual timing is set to the prescribed -8.5 or so, I can set the TDC offset to -1.5 - -1.97, depending on how agressive I want to be (probably do the -1.5 first and see how I like it).

Thanks in advance for all your help. I would be happy to send you a email address if you prefer.

Dimsdale

GMC Hauler
09-03-2005, 16:44
Dimsdale,

I believe most of what you are seeing is normal. I see 8.5-9.5 degrees of actual timing while idiling, and more while driving. I had my pump set by the dealer once, and shortly thereafter, the Autoenginuity tool worked with these commands. I have used the TDC offset command several times to adjust the TDC offset since the dealer set it. I havent had to move the pump for the small amount I have moved TDC offset(-1.47 to -1.94).

Do you have access to service manuals, particurally the sections about setting timing and TDC offset? These commands are no different than the Tech II's commands. Timing and TDC offset should be set the way the factory service manual, the same way as a tech will set it. You will probably have to move the pump to get timing to come back some. I believe once you read the procedure (a link is provided below), you will understand more. You have to move the pump and use the time learn command to set base timing properly.

I have done the time learn procedure, and I see 3.5 degreees. That is what I should see, which tells me the technician set my truck right. So I haven't had to move the pump.

Here is a link from tbogemirep that has the procdedure: Click Here (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007371)

Contrary to his procedure, you do not need to shut the engine down to get the PCM to learn a TDC offset. Your Autoenginuity scantool will command a learn of a new value in about 2 seconds, after you activate the TDC offset command.

If you need more help, just ask. :D

If you'd like to contact me personally: rtea1234@yahoo.com

If you would like me to make you a copy of the procedure from the service manual, contact me.

Dimsdale
09-03-2005, 18:36
Thanks, GMC Hauler!

Yes, I do have the service manuals, and probably every other GMC publication that I could get my hands on over the past few years, including the electronic version that I keep on the laptop for easy access. It is probably a matter of too much information, rather than too little!

I was worried more about the specifics of using the AutoEnginuity scan tool in combination with the manuals. Just don't want to create a pool of molten slag in the driveway! Hardest part of the job, as usual, will just be getting to the IP mounting nuts, but I seem to have a system worked out that doesn't require removing very many engine bits.

I hope to try it out tomorrow or Monday at the latest. I will keep you posted on this thread. Thanks for the email too!

I have to thank you for the recommendation of the AutoEnginuity scan tool though. I realize you did a lot of beta testing for Jay with respect to the GM Diesels, and provided a lot of feedback that helped him develop the software for the AE. It is quite amazing, and far and away a better choice than my old Autotap. I like the way some of the Autotap displays look over the AE, but that is just nitpicking, and nothing beats bidirectional controls, particularly at less that 1/10 the cost of a Tech 2! Jay is really quick with feedback too, whereas Autotap could take some considerable time. Jay is really on the ball, and has done what many others considered impossible.

And I get to use it on the wifemobile, a GMC Jimmy, too!

GMC Hauler
09-04-2005, 03:49
Dimsdale,

You're welcome. I'm glad that the scantool has turned out to be a viable option for us 6.5 owners.

In my previous discussions with Jay, he has stated that body functions will soon be included in the scan tool. Unfortunately, with upcoming deployments, I may not be able to beta test on a regular basis. I have discussed this with Jay in the past, and he has directed me to have anyone that wants to beta test to drop him an email. If you have the time, myself and all others here would appreciate if you could give the newer versions the once over. And if someone here lives close or in Arizona (IIRC, where they are located), they need a vehicle to hook their tech II up to.

Your questions about the scan tool have made me think about putting some direction for 6.5 specifics with the scantool in my signature line.

[ 09-04-2005, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: GMC Hauler ]

Dimsdale
09-04-2005, 14:41
GMC Hauler,

I think an instruction manual specifically for the 6.5 would be a great idea! I would be happy to help, as I am what you might call on an "involuntary vacation" and have more time than I would otherwise. Maybe we could come up with something to put on the member's area, with Jim's permission of course, unless Jay wants to simply add a version to his manual on disk. Has he considered putting an ad on the DP? That would probably be worth its weight in gold to him, although you have done a pretty good job enlightening us on the AE's features.

I will soon email Jay and tell him that I would be happy to help him out by testing beta software on my truck if you are unavailable. I am afraid that trips to AZ might be out of the question though, given the price of fuel!

Doing the timing tomorrow!

atmdoc
09-05-2005, 07:44
GMC Hauler

I plan on getting an AutoEnginuity. Which one did you order?

GMC Hauler
09-05-2005, 08:07
I purchased mine on ebay. I bought the laptop version. I have never seen the palm version, but I would venture to say that it would not be as easy to see all the sensors while they are running.

But, I have heard that the ones sold on ebay are now Lite versions. You may want to check into that first.

I got the laptop version and the GM enhanced portion.

atmdoc
09-05-2005, 08:58
GMC Hauler

Thanks for info.