PDA

View Full Version : How to build a 6.5 turbo dieselfor a boat

phughes69
09-03-2005, 07:40
I am looking at replacing the Turbocharged 454's in my boat with 6.5 diesels. The old motors are 454's with gale banks twin turbos(the turbos are rayjay's) and an intercooler on top of the intake. They are rated at 475 HP at the crankshaft. I want to build a pair of 6.5 (or 6.2) to replace them and try to reuse the intercooler and maybe the turbos on the new motors. Since the only restraints that I have are making it a twin turbo and with a water to aair intercooler, what are some recomendations on what parts to use as far as how big to bore the block out to, what block (6.5 with or without piston sprayers or 6.2) what crankshaft (stock of aftermarket) rods (stock or aftermarket, what length) Pistons, heads, camshaft profile, injection pump, injectors? Basically this is a wish list of how to build the untimate twin turbo 6.5

DmaxMaverick
09-03-2005, 08:20
Have a look at This Site (http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/) to answer your questions.

Diesel Dan
09-06-2005, 17:51
That's a project I was thinking about. Get a 21-24'er with a junk bigblock in it install a 6.5TD. Now on a bigger boat a Dmax or a HPCR Cummins :D .