PDA

View Full Version : fuel differences

arrowheadracing
02-05-2005, 06:38
Well after my one day trip. 1400 some miles in one day. I went through about 3 1/2 tanks of fuel. My last tank was at a big truck stop. That tank it self must have been #1 or something different as I pushed my mileage up almost 50 miles more at the half way mark of the gauge. That is about the best mileage I have seen since the cold weather and since I installed the 33" tires. I also started using additive on this trip. Didnt seem to make a difference. But that last tank, feels like I added another 20-30 hp to the truck. Must be a better blend of something. I am very suprised to see how fuel makes such a huge difference in power and mileage. Also the rpm was roughly around 2300-2500 rpm for 80% of the trip. ( 70 mph or so 2500 rpm ). Mileage was 15 mpg loaded and unloaded , didnt make a difference. This last tank looks like I ll be back to my summer time 18 mpg.

Thanks
Todd

Marty Lau
02-07-2005, 09:01
Not #1 as there are fewer BTU's in a gallon of #1 Diesel compared to #2. You may have been getting Winter #2 which around here in Montana is about 30%#1 so you may have gotten pure #2 at the truck stop. Some Truck stops will get #2 and treat it with anti-gel aditive.

Hubert
02-07-2005, 14:10
Its hard to say what a particular truck stop may do different but if you go far enough I would expect a difference in quality of fuels. I have noticed a subtle difference in performance at the same local truck stops between different tanks, different times, and different additives.

Some stations and distributors will add a cocktail of additives to keep the tanks clean, control algae growth, water, gelling etc. Some stations market the stuff as "premium diesel". Depends on inventory turn over, age of tanks, pumps, maintenance, and truck stop management/employees. Not to mention refinery and distribution quality etc. Fuel only has to meet a one sided quality standard. It can be better just usually costs more.

I always heard to avoid refueling while the tankers are filling the ground tanks. And Its best to fill up early in the morning a day or so after the tanks have been filled (could be a wives tale don't know). Then argue not to let a tank sit empty with big overnight temp differences to avoid condensation.
I try to always use clean popular stations but its not so easy on the road. I have filled up with bad fuel too and it sucks!!! There is definately a reason why there are lots of additive companies and why filter maintenance is so important!