PDA

View Full Version : I have been "schooled" - we all know nothing

JeepSJ
05-04-2004, 14:47
After calling around to several wrecking yards to try to locate a 97-up thermostat housing (I actually specified a 98-99 as the year) I found a yard that had one. I get there, and it is a single stat type. Then he admits that it actually came off a '96, but everything for a 6.5 is the same (according to his book). So, I argued that point for a few minutes and he called in his diesel "expert" to ask him about the dual t-stat setup. "Yeah, I have seen those, but they are from the 6.2, not the 6.5. All 6.5's look like this one,"(pointing to the one they were trying to sell me). So, I tried to explain about the '97-up high flow water pump, dual stats, etc... and he told me that I was mis-informed and that I needed to start talking to people who actually knew something about "those engines".

I kindly thanked him for his information and left, never to return.

patrick m.
05-04-2004, 14:53
sounds like me about......15 years ago, i knew everything then :D

HowieE
05-04-2004, 15:08
Boy do I wish yuo had gotten his e mail address so some of those people who know what they are talking about could e mail him.

Journeydog
05-04-2004, 15:32
When you know everything, you don't need no stinkin' email.

They sound like the guy that installed my new engine. When I asked him about timing the IP, he said he didn't need any stinkin' electronic crap. He just "tunes" 'em by smoke..."been doing it like that for years". And, he's an authorized Cummins dealer!

Cowracer
05-05-2004, 05:23
Ya know, people who think they know everything tick off those of us who really do :D

cruzer
05-05-2004, 05:38
"If they ain't got it, you don't need it."

G. Gearloose
05-05-2004, 06:00
"what year is it?"
<you reply>
"Oh, they all do that."

Turbine Doc
05-05-2004, 07:33
This sounds like the "expert" my extended warranty company sent out to evaluate why my transmission went bad; I had overpowered it with "THAT BANKS" turbo kit (Hello-GM-8, 6.5L-TD, even paid extra premium for the turbo coverage), "GM never made a stock turbo engine, I should know I was a GM tech when GM modded the 350 to be a Diesel 5.7, and when the 6.2s came out"

"Every 6.2 that had "that Banks kit" had trans problems, too much power for it to handle I know you added the Banks cause you got Banks gauges on the pilar and that (monster) exhaust", and that computer module on the wheel well (FSD Cooler as marked on it's side in the photos he took).

It took some doing, but I finally convinced the warranty company to pay for it; and my credentials 22 years working on jets & field engineering projects, Diesel experience in the Navy and as a 6.5 owner was somewhat better than their "experts". But could not have done it without you guys; Thanks TDP & members for giving me the "knowhow" to stand my ground.

Marty Lau
05-05-2004, 08:28
Jeep;
The real sad part is all the poor slobs that they mess up who "don't REALLY KNOW" and rely on the yahoo's that KNOW ALL.