PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 and spicer 3053a balance?

uglyjeep
11-15-2008, 11:23
It has been a long time since I have been on this page , and since then my project plans have changed. I have scrapped the original vehicle my 6.2 was intended for and I picked up a '67 Jeep Gladiator pickup. I am now working on swaping the 6.2 into that along with a 3053a out of a military deuce and a half. I have pretty much everything I will need (I think) to do the swap. This set-up uses a monstorous 13" clutch and flywheel from a GM C-60. Is there any balancing or any thing else that I need to worry about when doing this with a 6.2?

Here's a link http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_0509_spicer_3053a_transmission/index.html

DmaxMaverick
11-15-2008, 12:28
The 6.2/6.5 engines are externally balanced. You will need to address that. You can have a machine shop balance your flywheel/PP to the 6.2 spec. Or, use a 6.2/6.5 flywheel/PP. You may have to source a custom clutch disc to mate to the tranny. Another issue you will have to address is the pilot. You may need a custom bushing (or machine one end or the other) to adapt the 3053 pilot to the 6.2 crank.

uglyjeep
11-15-2008, 20:07
I already have a clutch disc that fits the flywheel and the 1 1/2" 10 spline output shaft on the trans. The pilot bearing is mounted in the flywheel, rather than the crank, and I already have a 1' OD 3/4" ID bushing to go in it to fit the spicer trans. The smaller 6.2/6.5 flywheel and pressure plate wont work with this setup.

What specs exactly would it need to be balanced to? This flywheel must almost be 50 lbs with pressure plate and clutch disc - can it be balanced to the 6.2 spec?

If it can't be balanced properly, I'll probably do the swap anyway and not worry about it. I only paid $200 for the engine, and when/if it blows I could just drop in a BBC and run CNG. Or maybe I could find an old V6 toroflow diesel - I know some of those were in front of 13" clutches.

Robyn
11-16-2008, 07:36
Yessssss, the setup must be ballanced to the engine with an external weight or have the complete rotating assembly ballanced.

Most any good machine shop that does ballancing can do this.
If not done the little creature will self destruct in short order.

Best

Robyn

uglyjeep
11-16-2008, 13:52
DmaxMaverick, Robyn - thank you, I have been wondering about that.

Anyone have an idea on how much it'd cost to get it balanced? Maybe just a general range?

DmaxMaverick
11-17-2008, 01:36
I have no idea of the current rate for a balance job. Used to be (20+ years ago), it was a $40 addition to other machine work being done. This was a complete rotating assy balance (highly recommended), after bearings were fitted, and this was BB Chevys and Fords. Either some material was removed (minor grinding, or drilling), or some was added with ring gear weld placement, counter weights welded on (for large needs), or even small rivets added for very minor needs. It depends on the machine shop, and the condition of the material you are starting with. Many times, it can be minimized by proper clocking of the flywheel (not always possible). All this provided your flywheel will even match the crank (more machine work, if it doesn't).

Either way, it's free to ask the machinist.

HillBilly2
11-17-2008, 04:53
I already have a clutch disc that fits the flywheel and the 1 1/2" 10 spline output shaft on the trans. The pilot bearing is mounted in the flywheel, rather than the crank, and I already have a 1' OD 3/4" ID bushing to go in it to fit the spicer trans. The smaller 6.2/6.5 flywheel and pressure plate wont work with this setup.

If this flywheel is a actual larger diameter, you will have issues with the starter gear and starter alignment fitting. If your talking about the clutch surface being smaller and the starter ring gears are the same diameter then that's probably not a problem. Lots of things to consider.

uglyjeep
11-17-2008, 09:40
Either way, it's free to ask the machinist.

I suppose I could do that :rolleyes:. Thanks for the info, it helps a lot.

If this flywheel is a actual larger diameter, you will have issues with the starter gear and starter alignment fitting.

The medium duty bellhousing/flywheel is much larger, but it has its own starter that bolts to an adapter plate between the engine and bell. The bellhousing is an SAE pattern (#2 I think) and needs the adapter plate to bolt to the chevy pattern on the engine.