PDA

View Full Version : 2004 injectors??

grassy
11-13-2008, 00:04
Just got truck back from employee.. 2004 Duramax 3500 Silverado and noticed the constant dark exhaust, has 83K. No engine code lite comes on but truck runs a bit rough and while idling the smoke is obvious.. I'm thinking clogged injectors but reluctant to take to a dealership yet. Have heard Chevy has warranty on some injectors within 100k??
Any advise appreciate as I'm new to forum..

DmaxMaverick
11-13-2008, 00:40
Welcome aboard!

Before assuming a fuel system failure, be sure you've conducted a full service on the truck. Air and fuel filters can cause smoke and running issues if they need replacement.

You have a couple warranty options, depending on the engine series. If it is an LB7 (up to early 2004), injectors may be covered for 7 years or 200K, no deductible. Check with your dealer to determine if your VIN is included in the campaign. If it is an LLY (or LB7), the engine, including fuel system, is covered for 5 years or 100K, with a $100 deductible. Either way, you will need a diagnosis. It isn't likely "injector cleaning" will offer any lasting solution.

Duramaster
11-13-2008, 07:12
What ever you do, take your "HOTROD" crap off of the engine before taking it to you dealer!!!!! At this point your dealer is looking for any reason to DENY the warranty repair. My dealer is starting to crack down on this and that is mostly due to the fact that we have a new, young GM Warranty rep who thinks he is going to save GM single handedly!!!! :p

Kennedy
11-13-2008, 08:23
All of the above, plus check for fuel contamination, gasoline, etc. A fresh clean fuel filter with no residue or water is critical as some dealers use fuel contamination (right wrong or otherwise) as an excuse to deny warranty and make money.

grassy
11-14-2008, 06:02
Ya'll may become my new best friends.. with your help I'm dangerous enough to repair and service this truck myself.
It was purchased 6 months ago for company but don't think any service has been done since. I now have it back as a personal truck and wish to get all service up to date. Will attemp fuel filter and oil change today.
Thanks for all suggestions..
Bryan

grassy
11-26-2008, 06:02
Dealership says they found ONE bad injector.. my question is it common for only ONE injector to be bad?? They are replacng only the one with the $100 warranty deductible. Most posts I've noticed seem to have GM replace entire set of injectors. Just replaced injectors on my John Deere skid steer and was entire set. Forgive the skepticism, want to be fair, but I am conditioned from experience to be suspect of dealerships..
Thoughts??

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2008, 11:11
Dealership says they found ONE bad injector.. my question is it common for only ONE injector to be bad?? They are replacng only the one with the $100 warranty deductible. Most posts I've noticed seem to have GM replace entire set of injectors. Just replaced injectors on my John Deere skid steer and was entire set. Forgive the skepticism, want to be fair, but I am conditioned from experience to be suspect of dealerships..
Thoughts??

This would depend on which engine you have. If it's an LB7, they should replace all 8, if your VIN is included in the 200K miles or 7 year extended warranty campaign. In this case, there is NO deductible, and the dealer is compelled to replace all 8 injectors. If you have an LLY, replacing them one at a time is common practice (the injectors are outside the valve cover, and is a 1 hr job, compared to the LB7 8-16 hr job), and the deductible applies.

2004 saw two Duramax engine options. LB7 early, and LLY late. Verify which engine you have by the VIN. The 8th digit is the engine code. 1 is LB7, and 2 is LLY.

grassy
11-26-2008, 12:41
This would depend on which engine you have. If it's an LB7, they should replace all 8, if your VIN is included in the 200K miles or 7 year extended warranty campaign. In this case, there is NO deductible, and the dealer is compelled to replace all 8 injectors. If you have an LLY, replacing them one at a time is common practice (the injectors are outside the valve cover, and is a 1 hr job, compared to the LB7 8-16 hr job), and the deductible applies.

2004 saw two Duramax engine options. LB7 early, and LLY late. Verify which engine you have by the VIN. The 8th digit is the engine code. 1 is LB7, and 2 is LLY.

YES the dealership also confirmed it is an LB7 but still will only replace the one bad injector. They assured me if others fail they will replace them under the 200k warranty, and at another $100 decductable. I guess each GM dealship has their own policies..
if someone is friendly with this dealership your welcome to argue on my behalf!
On the other hand and on the eve of Thanksgiving I am grateful to have it fixed even if I have to pay the deductable.

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2008, 13:20
Your dealership is violating GM policy, as well as possibly local/federal trade confidence laws. They are filing a fraudulent warranty claim to GM, and extorting money from you (the crime). What they are doing will make more money for them (the motive), and causes more inconvenience for you than necessary (the opportunity). According to the symptoms and diagnosis you've experienced, the extended injector warranty supersedes the 5/100 engine warranty. Dealerships cannot have independent policy, when it applies to new vehicle warranty coverage, unless that coverage is in addition to primary GM warranties (usually applies to used vehicle sales). They can improve your warranty, but cannot degrade it, as long as you don't violate your agreement to maintain your vehicle (the evidence and testimony). [notice the elements required of a civil and/or criminal prosecution have been met]

You are being victimized. If you can accept this, it's your choice.

grassy
11-26-2008, 13:36
I'm second owner and did not purchase from dealership. Truck is in immaculate condition. Does this effect the warranty policy??
I will confront dealership on Friday with the information you've provided. Would also be purposeful if I could locate a link with warranty specific to my situation (2004 LB7 with 83k)..

DmaxMaverick
11-26-2008, 13:50
The dealership should be familiar with, and be able to pull up the latest warranty bulletin (I don't have the latest). Being the second owner or the dealership of purchase will have no effect on GM warranties. They already stated they would cover all 8 injectors if the problem repeats (acknowledging the truck's VIN is included). You should ask them to verify this. You will be covered, the same as the original owner. Extended warranties (purchased warranties, not extended campaign warranties) require an owner transfer, but that's not an issue in your case.

grassy
11-27-2008, 15:54
This appears to the definitive guideline for GM dealerships, and for which I'm being held to..

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/lb7injectorwarranty.htm

Excerpt from DieselPages:
GM recommends following Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007A for injectors diagnosed with high fuel return rates. GM specifically directs its dealerships not to replace all 8 injectors for any complaint other than high fuel return rates. Other types of injector failures are "fix as failed", meaning the individual faulty injector will be replaced - not all eight.