PDA

View Full Version : What does the resonator tube do??

JFerg65
11-12-2008, 16:06
I just got done upgrading my 96 airbox /intake to a 97+ airbox. What exactly does the resonator tube do on my new intake? I don't know if it is just me, but man this thing sounds a hell of lot louder now than it did before. I find it hard to believe it is due to the larger air filter. I am running a K&N in the new airbox. I had the flat style K&N in the old airbox. Thanks

Hubert
11-12-2008, 18:04
I thought it was added volume to the intake between the filter and turbo. This added volume allows the air to absorb and soften pressure or vacuum changes ie when turbo spool speed changes. Its to make the turbo quieter and reduce whistle noises. The round filter flows more air than the flat panel and thus cuold be louder.

JFerg65
11-12-2008, 18:39
Thanks! that is a great explanation!

daustin
11-13-2008, 07:24
I did the upgrade on my '93 from the flat filter style to the '97 round airbox. I plugged the extra "noise silencer" tube, i found it didn't do anything performance wise and was the to silence the turbo.
Don

DennisG01
11-13-2008, 07:54
I thought it was added volume to the intake between the filter and turbo. This added volume allows the air to absorb and soften pressure or vacuum changes ie when turbo spool speed changes. Its to make the turbo quieter and reduce whistle noises. The round filter flows more air than the flat panel and thus cuold be louder.

That's pretty much it! The main noise that you will hear is the noise that's generated when you let off the throttle. The more you were into the throttle (hence higher boost psi) the more noise you will hear. It is affectionately referred to as turbo bark - and yes, it does sound a little like a blow-off valve. Personally, I think I hear the turbo whistle a little better, as well.