PDA

View Full Version : dash 12 volt power plugs

afp2007
11-09-2008, 09:39
Hello:

We just purchased a new to us, new model 2007 2500HD in LT trim. The dealer has ordered the owners manual as it was missing. We have installed a Sirius Sat radio and plugged into one of the power plugs on the dash. This plug seems to be energized always so we need to remember to switch off the radio. Any mods or ideas?

Thanks
Rick

DmaxMaverick
11-09-2008, 10:05
Welcome aboard!

The acc. power outlets are fused, and can be rewired into the RAP circuit at the fuse block. You can either rewire it behind the fuse panel, or jumper it at the front. I suggest doing this to only one outlet (as you may need the other active with the key/RAP off). A better option would be to independently supply power to it, and relay it from the RAP circuit, fused, of course. The RAP is the Retained Accessory Power, which allows acc. power to stay on after the key is turned off, until it times out, or a door is opened.

afp2007
11-09-2008, 18:11
Thanks Dmax

I have purchased a separate power plug that will be installed under the dash. Where do I find the RAP circuit on the fuse block? (I don't yet have the owners manual)

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
11-09-2008, 19:33
It should be marked RAP. It may be different for 2007. In any case, you can tap the power window circuit, as it's 25 amps and CB protected (as well as RAP). Just use an inline fuse appropriate for the current draw of what you are attaching to it. No more than about 5 amps, I'd think, but check the documentation that came with the radio unit. Many times, the lighter plug that comes with the device has a built in fuse. If it does, you can use a inline fuse rated about double that, or 5 or 10 amps. 10 amps will protect against any accidental shorts.