PDA

View Full Version : Composite Headlamp Swap

VinDiesel
01-20-2004, 13:25
I am trying to swap out the composite lamp setup on the '98 Bourbon for a sealed beam system so Cibies can be used. Getting a grille is easy and the turn signal, parking lights and marker lamps seem readily available. HOWEVER, I cannot seem to find the ASSEMBLY for the sealed beam headlamp despite much searching (dealer says not available, ebay has only composites, auto sites don't supply it). I suspect some truck model, e.g. 94 full size Blazer, part would work but I don't know - anyone with knowledge about where I could get the assembly or what model trucks, etc. would be a fit. Thanks! :confused:

Dvldog 8793
01-20-2004, 13:32
Howdy
I have a 89 chev that is my welding truck. It has the older sealed beam system with 4 lights. I would think most of the parts could be made to work. I would look for a 88-89 truck in the junk yards.
Only one question, WHY????
I have a 99 with the phillips rally bulbs in it and they are BRIGHT! I've done other lighting mods to make sure they get the right amount of voltage.
Hope this helps....
Conley

VinDiesel
01-20-2004, 14:09
Conley-thanks for the post-Why "upgrade"? These composite dims don't allow one to safely drive at night over 50mph. Brights work great but how often can they be used? Installed the Kennedy harness but he no longer supplies Phillps rallys. The harness made NO improvements in brightness (probably saves the wiring though!). I have been unable to find rallys so I decided to try to move to Cibies as improvement is badly needed-this situation is truly dangerous. I'm surprised Chev Burban owners didn't revolt at GM for the lousy lighting they put on them. I'm in a bind with this situation as a trip to Florida is coming up next month. It's either get this serious problem fixed, drive only in the day or take Fritz.

Dvldog 8793
01-20-2004, 14:28
I agree with you on the lighting problem. My lights are adjusted so that the dims are probably a little too high for people in sports cars! tongue.gif OH WELL. In my other cars I found a good improvement is the new sylvania bulb, I cant remember the name, Ultra star or something like that. They are better than factory but not nearly as good as the phillips. I'm glad I got a good supply of them! :D It is possible to make the factory lights work if you play with the adjustments enough. Until I found the rally bulbs I was going to do the same thing you are talking about.
Have FUN!
L8r
Conley

MTTwister
01-20-2004, 15:21
Latest JCWhitney catalog 682-01 on back cover has a 'special' on bulbs -

9005 3 65w regular - 11.98 Xenon 17.98
3 110w " 17.98 " 22.38

9006 3 55w and
3 80 w Same $ as above.

T'aint Phillips silver stars I sure , but ...?

Bobbie Martin
01-20-2004, 15:49
There really isn't a sealed beam assembly as such. All you need are the headlamp buckets, springs and adjusters. All of the holes for the sealed beam light brackets are already there, so basically all you need to do is remove what you have and install the new stuff. You can get new springs & adjusters at the local Chevy dealer. The cost is minimal. You will also need two pop in nut inserts for the sealed beam grille that the composite grill does not use. The empty holes are there - right behind the turn signals. You should be able to find everything you need at a junkyard - all the base model trucks came with sealed beams. It's worth the hassle. The composite lights are terrible. If you absolutely cannot find a set of headlamp buckets, let me know. I may know of a set I can get.

More Power
01-20-2004, 16:22
You will not need to change your grille. Your original grille will accept the sealed beam lights and mounting hardware without a problem. You will however, need the matching lamp connectors, which are available from GM. The sealed beam and composite lamps use different lamp connectors.

If you're interested in a trade, let me know. I've got a couple sets of sealed beam headlight assemblies (and possibly lamp connectors).

MP

Bobbie Martin
01-20-2004, 17:44
If you are going to fit Cibies, you should also fit relays and rewire it with 10 or 12 gage wire. You can get the connectors to fit the big wire here (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html). Cibies work great 100 (or 130) watt bulbs!

VinDiesel
01-20-2004, 20:06
I have removed grille and all lamps and indeed the rectangular "holes" for the adjusters are there. The right hand side seems to have a horn component and some structural thing hanging behind the circular cut-out; I don't know if that will be an issue. I almost have this together but :( am ashamed to admit :( I don't know what headlamp buckets are. If I simply state that's what I'm after to junkyards will that be sufficient to get the right part? I'm even more :( ashamed to admit :( that I don't know why the dealer can't provide it all. Sorry for being so dense on something so simple. Getting this last piece of the puzzle solved will fill in a big gap in understanding what is needed. P.S. have installed the Kennedy harness but I'm not sure that will do; certainly will take some different connector setup at the bulb end; at least I've got a grip on doing this part. Much, much thanks for the help and patience.

Bobbie Martin
01-21-2004, 04:45
Vin - email me directly. I can send you some pictures of my headlight conversion.

catmandoo
01-21-2004, 06:14
the bucket is the piece the headlite sets in then there is the stainless ring that goes around the lite and screws into the bucket

VinDiesel
03-11-2004, 07:08
To close my piece of this thread; lights were upgraded thanks to the help of many folks but especially Bobbie Martin. What a difference! I expect this project to be simple for the "old hands" but us newbies need this kind of help and it is much appreciated. As a matter of interest, I discovered that Audi owners also are heavy into improving their lighting and those cars are not inexpensive. It is yet another testimony to how backward the US is in this area. Pretty to look at and totally dysfunctional about sums it up.