PDA

View Full Version : Water pump ?

radrecon69
05-03-2004, 16:52
Is there any reason why you can't use a 98 or newer water pump on a 93 engine? I would like to get the high volume for it but if there is some reason I can't I need to know before I order it

Thanks

Rick

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2004, 17:10
Serpentine or not? (clockwise/counter clockwise)
Late model cooling mods or not?
CUCV or civilian?

It will bolt up to the block and function. The other parts are the problem. You could make it work in any case with a little enginuity, provide the rotation is correct.

ttpost
05-03-2004, 17:12
with the high volume pump dont you need the dual thermostat housing and a upper radiator hose also??

radrecon69
05-03-2004, 17:17
It has the serpentine belt but no colling upgrades was just looking foe increased water flow. Putting a new engine in the Dually and thought why it is not in yet go a head and add a water pump so i thought lets go with the high flow. But I haven't ordered it yet

Rick

Dezman125
05-04-2004, 07:17
I'd say while you have the motor out,go with the hi flow pump.You can always add the dual tstats later.
I wanted to use peninsulars high flow v-belt pump while i hade my motor apart,unfortantly they where out of stock.Now i have to take a bunch of stuff apart again.I hate doing things twice.
For the added expence,and the peice of mind having a new pump,go for it while everything is apart.
My .02 worth

Marty Lau
05-04-2004, 07:43
Rick;

The water pump should bolt up I would also change the thermostaat housing while it's out At the end of last year I got the parts from GM Dirrect and the housing was like $77 and a pair of RS Staats I went 195 degree.

Marty Lau
05-04-2004, 07:45
Rick;

The water pump should bolt up I would also change the thermostaat housing while it's out At the end of last year I got the parts from GM parts Dirrect and the housing was like $77 and a pair of RS Staats I went 195 degree. If you do a search for "cooling upgrade" Damork post the whole parts list with GM part #'s so you can pick and chose what you want to get.

cruzer
05-04-2004, 11:28
If your considering the pump, you might as well do the whole cooling upgrade. Kennedy evidently sells the altered thermostat outlet and acc cable bracket plus the complete kit. Or you can get the "1999 feature articles and product reviews" from TDP. It shows how to alter the outlet and bracket.

My understanding is to get the full benefit of the pump you need the crossover pipe and dual Tstats.

Polar Diesel
05-04-2004, 18:04
isn't the point of the pump to move more water around in the block somthing like 74%block and only 9%radiator? so only using the pump would definatly reduce hot spots. But since your going that far, get the dual tstats. I would go with 180 stats if it were me. just the .02

radrecon69
05-06-2004, 13:57
Hey everbody thanks for all of the replies I decided to go a head just put the whole cooling upgrade on my new engine the mechanic said it is easier to put on now then later and if he does it it still falls under the warrenty (make sence) again thanks

rick