PDA

View Full Version : Duramax/Allision #6...

Mark Rinker
10-21-2008, 12:20
Bought a 2006 K3500 white, extended cab, longbox, LT2, SRW yesterday with ~57K miles. A true LBZ 'D' code truck with 285 Michelins, 12K# aftermarket heavy reciever tube hitch, retractable tonneau cover. Rest of the truck is bone stock and never chipped.

It will go in later this week for a gooseneck hitch and soon to follow will be a Western Ultramount truck side plow mount stuff/harness. Also shopping for a bed mounted fuel transfer tank with direct plumbing to the truck for extended cruise range.

My goal is to consolidate from 3 trucks down to 2 until this economy straightens up and flys right, combining/maintaining functionality of the 2002 extended cab (sold) and the 2006 reg cab flatbed (for sale). There will be snowy days this winter when the Kodiak is in Florida dropping off a boat, that I leave money on the table (nothing to pull gooseneck for local hotshot work) for this move, but not nearly as many days that would have one or two trucks sitting idle...

(The C4500 Kodiak stays for now - it just got new rear Michelins at 118K - if you see that for sale, things are REALLY tight...)

Mark Rinker
10-24-2008, 14:45
Took delivery of the truck today - ran it over to the local GM dealer for rear diff service, and to investigate front left corner, which had a noticeable growl at highway speed, and didn't feel right when cornering.

Sure enough, it needs a wheel bearing - at only 57K miles!

Called the previous owner, he agreed to pay the bill. Nice guy he could have told me to pound sand, but didn't. My faith in humanity has improved today.

:)

JoeyD
10-24-2008, 17:44
My faith in humanity has improved today.

:)

Tomorrow is another day

Duramaster
10-24-2008, 22:17
Tomorrow is another day

LOL :D :D :D :D

Mark Rinker
11-04-2008, 14:55
Well the previous owner came through as promised with a check for the left front wheel bearing. So far:

Changed the rear diff (first change since new at 57K...:mad:);
Dropped in two new AC/Delco batteries (swapped the takeouts into the '06 flatbed, which had a dead soldier on the passenger/firewall side);
Heat gunned the previous owner's company decals off the ext cab doors, ordered up a pair of new MRE logos;
Ordered up a Kennedy custom tow/economy tuneThe truck has a great ride - better than K2500 ext/crew longboxes I have owned. Maybe the extra weight of the K3500 helps and/or the 285s? I get a little tire rub going in and out of the driveway (bump) planning to turn up the torsion bars a turn on each side to see if that helps any...

Coming soon:

EGR blockoff plate install
Set of 16" wheels - came with painted grey steelies...needs something nicer - H3 Hummer takeoffs?
Some type of bug/chip shield on front of hoodThe BOSE stereo is great, too!

More Power
11-04-2008, 16:54
Coming soon:

Set of 16" wheels - came with painted grey steelies...needs something nicer - H3 Hummer takeoffs?
Some type of bug/chip shield on front of hoodCongrats! You may want to research the load capacity of any replacement wheels. Part of why the SRW 3500's got steel wheels was for the load capacity.

I really like the clear plastic film that is applied to the stone damage prone areas of the hood and front-end. The film is virtually invisible from a short distance away and doesn't affect the aerodynamics (wind resistance & wind noise) like the bolt-on type do.

Talked to a member today who indicated he may be looking for someone to transport a 5th-wheel RV trailer from Vancouver WA to Texas at some point in the future. Let me know if you're in that neck of the woods sometime late winter or early spring, and are looking for a haul-back (and I'll send him your contact info). ;)

Jim

kaylabryn
11-05-2008, 12:46
Hey Mark
Check out the new 17" Chevy Rims, quite nice is you ask me and both Chevy and Dodge are using this size stock so lots of take off tires when time for replacement comes up.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/903378515.html

Kennedy
11-05-2008, 14:18
I attribute the ride quality to the extra leaf of the 3500 pack. People think the opposite (many remove leaves) but I think that the first stage of spring rate is too light.

As for rubber I'd suggest 265 Michelin LTX MS. Let me know what you decide so I can set the speedo accordingly. No need for blocker plate so long as my ECM is installed.

rat4go
11-05-2008, 14:24

Hummer wheels are either 16" 6-lug (H3) or 17" 8-lug (H2) so you don't want either if you plan to keep the 285 Michelins.

I have a set (4) of the OEM forged alum 8 lug wheels from my 2003 2500HD (with chevy center caps) that I've been thinking about selling. The clearcoat isn't the best in spots (typical of most 5 year old factory rims I've seen), but they're straight and no curb rash. Let me know if you're interested and I can get you pics and price info off-forum.

Mark Rinker
11-06-2008, 08:01
What is the weight rating for the OEM forged aluminum rims, vs. the steelies?

Mark Rinker
11-06-2008, 08:04
I attribute the ride quality to the extra leaf of the 3500 pack. People think the opposite (many remove leaves) but I think that the first stage of spring rate is too light.

As for rubber I'd suggest 265 Michelin LTX MS. Let me know what you decide so I can set the speedo accordingly. No need for blocker plate so long as my ECM is installed.

JK - check your email. I sent you the VIN# and specs on the 285 Michelins the truck came with. Not my first choice in tire size, but they are almost new and I am going to run this set and see how it goes. (They do look nice.)

rat4go
11-06-2008, 13:11
Spent most of my lunch looking for something telling me that these forged wheels were used on a 3500SRW since I don't know how to determine capacity and struck out.

Any 3500SRW owners got Option code PYO wheels (that look like the attached pic) that came with their truck??

Mark...this is not a pick of one of my wheels, but a pic of one I shamelessly 'borrowed' of the internet.

Kennedy
11-06-2008, 19:36
JK - check your email. I sent you the VIN# and specs on the 285 Michelins the truck came with. Not my first choice in tire size, but they are almost new and I am going to run this set and see how it goes. (They do look nice.)

Yes I have that email, but there was also a voice mail raising the question of keeping 285's or swapping to 265's.

As for the PYO wheels, they were not offered with the 3500. Whether it was weight capacity or width (or both) I don't know. I do know that a 285 really belongs on an 8" wheel. The PYO is 6.5" and the 3500 SRW steel wheel is 7" wide.

I have PYO's and 265's on my '05

Mark Rinker
11-07-2008, 05:40
Sorry JK, I forgot about the vmail I left. I kept the 285s and will run those. I am headed north to deer camp this weekend and will get on over 500 empty miles for a good stock baseline of mileage.

My observation so far is the truck is getting 14-15mpg mixed use driving, no serious hauling yet. Pulled one large boat on the triple axle transport trailer, probably GCVW of 24k# and it didn't even make the truck squat with ~1200# on the bumper. Reasonable power, kinda 'shifty' at first and in the hills, but the adaptive learn was already changing things and shifts improving in the short 50 mile trip from marina to storage area.

Question: The battery swap preceded the towing event described. Does the '06 Allison TCM 're-learn' after being unhooked entirely from power?