PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter Upgrade

MrBSA
10-20-2008, 17:03
Hi all,
my stock 2002 Duramax needs the stock air filter replaced and I am considering an upgrade of some sort and was wondering what others have installed in their trucks. My first thought was to just put a K&N into the stock air box. I have one in my wife's Subaru and have had one in my previous truck (gas) without problems but I keep reading about problems of oil fouling the MAP sensors. Do I need to worry about that? Would a complete cold air intake system be any better or worth the extra money? Any recommendations specific the the LB7 would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Bruce

Mark Rinker
10-20-2008, 17:16
My advice?

Don't.

Run OEM filters - change them often! Oiled gauze style lets too much through. Gassers don't have the high air quantity consumption that diesels do.

dukeymax
10-20-2008, 18:11
My advice?

Don't.

Run OEM filters - change them often! Oiled gauze style lets too much through. Gassers don't have the high air quantity consumption that diesels do.
^^^^
what he said, i have seen it 2 many times.
go with the stock style filter

Heartbeat Hauler
10-21-2008, 17:16
Well, three is a charm. I switched to an AMSOIL oil-guaze filter and then read the filter test that "Spicer" came up with and went back to stock filters. BTW, I did not notice any difference in either performance or mileage going either way. Soooo, stay stock. One last thing, I do have my airbox swiss-cheesed.

JP

Duramaster
10-21-2008, 18:39
Waste of your hard earned money!!!! THe only positive I see is that they sound COOL!

MrBSA
10-22-2008, 09:51
Thanks guys, everyone seems to be in agreement so I guess I will stay with the stock system. Having said that is there one brand of stock type element that is better than another?

Cheers,
Bruce

Duramaster
10-22-2008, 20:30
Use the OEM filter! I believe it is AC Delco P/N A1618C. Make sure it has 5 glue strips on the filter face. This reinforces the filter so it won't turn inside out under extreme load conditions. Otherwise you can and will destroy the turbo! The GM website is down currently. I will try and post the bulletin later. ;)

9365turbo
10-26-2008, 10:16
So the banks ram air filter set up is not good either?

Duramaster
10-26-2008, 14:07
Here is the bulletin.

#PIP3225: Service VME - 01-05 6.6 LLY LB7 Duramax Diesel Engine Air Filter Usage - kw flow turbo intake torn GMT800 - (Nov 11, 2004)

Subject: 01-05 6.6 LLY LB7 Duramax Diesel Engine Air Filter Usage

Models: .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Service VME

Condition/Concern:
01-05 6.6 LLY LB7 Duramax Diesel Engine Air Filter Usage.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The Duramax air filter part number 25332443 is specific to the diesel engine due to the operating characteristics of a turbocharged diesel engine. The turbo generates a much greater air volume and flow rate then a normal aspirated engine. The Duramax diesel air filter is reinforced to eliminate damage from the increased air flow of the turbo. The reinforcement is visually identified by the five ribs of epoxy that lays across the pleats of the clean side of the filter.

If the correct air filter is not used, the filter may collapse or be torn in a Duramax application. This damage will allow dust and dirt to be ingested into the turbo and engine causing serious damage. This damage is usually identified at the turbo vanes as well as extreme ware in the cylinder walls of the engine.

We have seen evidence of gasoline engine air filters being used in the Duramax application. The 8.1 gas air filter part number 25313349 will fit into the air box of the Duramax diesel; however, it does not have the required reinforcement of the diesel air filter. The 8.1 liter gas engine air filter should never be used in a Duramax diesel engine.

rat4go
02-02-2009, 12:51
Looks like I'm verifying the search function again. :-) (reviving old threads when they are related to a topic I've searched for)

I figured I'd let you guys know that many aftermarket parts places are selling filters for our diesel trucks that are NOT specific to the diesel. Fram markets filter CA8755A for just about every GM full size truck and it's what the local place sold me last time I was there.

Maybe it's got the reinforcement needed for the diesel's airflow, but when I took it out to give it a quick inspection, I set it next to a 'real' AC A1816C filter (old dirty one that I hadn't thrown away yet) that's the OEM recommendation. Interesting that the AC filter has almost 50% more pleats (and thus more filter area) than the Fram. A rough count has the fram with about 65 pleats and the AC filter with about 100 (count is rough 'cuz my kids interrupted me 2x, once per filter!)

Dunno who's filter paper flows better, but if you assume that the Fram is NOT 50% better flow per sq inch of paper, then the fram is worse for flow, power, fuel economy, filter life, etc. If the Fram really IS 50% better flow, how good can it be as a filter??

Gunna run the 'real' AC filter next time.