PDA

View Full Version : Spare ecm question for the pro's

P.W.
10-19-2008, 18:38
I see Kennedy Diesel sells a spare ecm so I can keep my original one stock. I don't know if it's worth it or not because I know that GM can tell how many regens have been done along with other info that I don't have a clue about. But at least when thay look to see if it has ever had a tune put on it it would show nothing. How far does GM look into the ecm for tunners?

Thanks for your time and help!!
PW

madmatt
10-20-2008, 15:33
depends on why we're looking. If it's a 07 that runs DAMN good but has nuked the tranny,, I'm checking it out pretty good. GM's cracking down so we really have to cover our asses at the dealers now. I'd still let a lot of stuff fly though.

P.W.
10-20-2008, 18:49
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking at a hotrod and I don't think anything will go wrong because of a ecno. custom tune from a well known tunner.

But just wanted to get some opions on if I should spend the extra cash for a spare ecm to try to fool a dealer, just enough to get the powertrain covered. If it's the first thing they do is look for an power up device in the ecm it won't show anything. Would they just stop there or would they look at the regen count ect?

THANKS
PW

madmatt
10-20-2008, 19:37
I'd stop if all the calibration P/Ns were good.

Kennedy
10-21-2008, 14:04
I'd stop if all the calibration P/Ns were good.

To elaborate on what Matt said:

First step is to check calibrations as this is the telltale sign. If this is correct, then there is no need to go further.