PDA

View Full Version : Battery Drain

BozDMAX
10-16-2008, 16:09
My batteries drained flat a couple times in the last week so I cobbled together an ammeter and found a 10A+ draw which I finally narrowed down to the MBEC 1 fuse in the underhood fuse block. MBEC apparently stands for Mid Bussed Electrical Center and runs, among other things the power seats.

So, I spent an hour on ALLDATA trying to find the thing by searching and following diagrams and am getting nowhere.

Can anyone tell me where that thing is so I can keep tracking from there?

Thanks

John

NutNbutGMC
10-23-2008, 17:08
My batteries drained flat a couple times in the last week so I cobbled together an ammeter and found a 10A+ draw which I finally narrowed down to the MBEC 1 fuse in the underhood fuse block. MBEC apparently stands for Mid Bussed Electrical Center and runs, among other things the power seats.

So, I spent an hour on ALLDATA trying to find the thing by searching and following diagrams and am getting nowhere.

Can anyone tell me where that thing is so I can keep tracking from there?

Thanks

JohnI want to think that should be diagrammed in your service manual. I was looking for fuses the other week and saw a lot of just about everything in the service manual. I found my trailer light fuses in three different places.

More Power
10-23-2008, 21:57
My 2001 electrical diagrams book wasn't much help. It didn't have an MBEC fuse that I could find.

Do you have heated seats? The seat heat controller is powered via a "Hot All Times" circuit, but is controlled via an ignition switched logic circuit. If the logic circuit failed, it could cause the problem you're seeing.

Jim

BozDMAX
10-24-2008, 14:45
The OWNER'S manual (that comes in the glove box) only mentions the MBEC fuse and that it powers the seats and right doors.

I do not have a SERVICE manual, but do have a subscription to ALLDATADIY.com that is pretty good for some things, but leaves a lot to be desired for others.

Since pulling the fuse, the seats no longer adjust or heat and the right side windows are kaput. I have not had time to get back out there and work on it again just yet. I was hoping to find a location for the MB electrical center so I could do some triangulating from one location. Barring that, I will unplug seats and windows one at a time and keep at it that way.

Seems like there ought to be a diagram to locate the relays for the power seats, as that is one of the easier things to pull and swap to check for the draw.

Other ideas?

John

More Power
10-24-2008, 15:40
A 10-amp draw is quite a lot.... If it's the seat heater, you should be able to feel the heat. Otherwise, unplug the heater connector (beneath the seat) - then check the draw. Then like you mentioned, work your way through the other possibilities....

Jim