PDA

View Full Version : Will Not Start! Help

Basshopper
09-01-2005, 17:25
One week ago the motor died 2 times on the freeway , next day would not start. Unhooked my remote FSD and connected to the IP one, fired right off, Ordered a new one. The same thing happened again went to the dealer bought a new FSD(ouch) plugged it in the remote fired right off. Drove 40 miles shut it off would not restart, Tow it home ($200)+ (fsd $337.00) day and the dealer has not diagnosed yet. Beside a new pump any suggestions before I buy into the dealers answer tommorrow before the long weekend, Help

Barry Nave
09-01-2005, 18:22
SES light come on?
How long has it been that you had a good grounding day with your truck?
Know what I mean ;)
Pump mount works yet on cooler it goes out?

Basshopper
09-01-2005, 20:43
No SES light or any other lights have come on. All guages work, Have never had an electrical problem until now. I have checked both battery cables and all looks well. My FSD Heat sink is bolted direct to the fender well, with a continuity light it was grounded. WHerre do you suggest I look for bad grounds???

Basshopper
09-01-2005, 20:47
FYI The FSD also quite working on the pump that is why I bought another FSD and put on the remote today since the cheaper one I had on order had not arrived yet. So until I bought the one today both of them quite working

rameye
09-02-2005, 03:41
Basshopper...

You need to to remove and clean...ALL grounds. Grab a wire brush, some conductive grease, and start breaking down the battery connections, ground connections to the block, starter connection and especially the cheapy ground on the passenger side fire wall to the intake manifold.

Dont skip this step..just because they look alright means zero, nada, nothing.

After you do that, try to start it, if it starts go to Phase 2. While running, lightly tug and shake the wiring harness in different locales, if it dies you gotta wiring issue..take it from there.

Phase 3?? I would check the idle stop solenoid after 1&2.

ram

rjwest
09-02-2005, 11:47
Have you checked the fuel shut off solenoid/ and connection,
also fuse for corrosion...

Basshopper
09-02-2005, 18:18
Found out today that the pump is out. It has 150K on it so I guess its time. So ordered a New one and having in put in. Thanks for your other suggestions. When I get the burb back I will still do a ground check as you suggest. Thanks again

rameye
09-03-2005, 03:43
Curious.. How did you determine pump death?

Usually it will set codes....

Do you think running WVO did it in??

Basshopper
09-03-2005, 11:57
The mechanic does a pressure test and pressurizes the system to get it to run without pressure it does not run. It did set internal codes even thought the check engine light never came on. I am not sure the WVO did it. I have 150K on this pump it was probaly its time.My last one only lasted 50K but that was at least under warranty and without WVO. I am going to do a post mortum on the pump to determine that question, but with all the guys doing this with no pump issues I don't think it was the WVO.

rameye
09-04-2005, 09:32
Hmmm just a little odd that it set the codes but the SES never showed itself.

another 6.5 enigma I suppose..