PDA

View Full Version : Steering gear: replace or rebuild??

Randee of the Redwoods
02-04-2005, 19:09
As the title implies. I've done about all I can troubleshooting my wander. I did, though, discover underinflated tires were part of the cause.
But the question here is about the steering box. I have deduced that at 190,000 mostly unknown miles that the gear itself may be causing some of the wander. I troed adjusting it but had to readjust again for being too tight. I'll find out tomorrow if the re-readjustment does any good.
So I see there are seal sets available. With the troubles I'm chasing, should I just replace($200 reman) or rebuild(disassemble and reassemble with new seals and clips)?
Let me off i nsight-my wander-it's as if there is a piece missing from the steering. There is a very large dead spot as if the wheel is not physically connected to the gear. Hold your hands twelve inches apart. Now have someone else put their hand between your hands and move theirs in either direction so as to contact your hands. That's what my steering feels like.

Kidd
02-06-2005, 06:52
I would get someone to watch the steering box while you rotate the steering wheel. Sector arm should begin turning immediately with your tires in the straight ahead postition. With that much slack I would wonder about worn splines on your gearbox.
K.D.

Randee of the Redwoods
02-06-2005, 16:41
I was thinking along the same lines about the worn splines. After readjusting the gear to loosen it up from my previously too tight adjustment, I drove the truck to my folks house. Oh what a dream! Little to no wander at all! I'll get into that story a bit later. Which brings me to summise that the wander is being caused by the ragjoint with the gear being a small contributing factor. I most likely just going to replace it assuming the replacement comes preset and ready to go. I need to swap the oil cooler and hydroboost lines first. But I am finally soooooooo close to fixing this dreaded wander!

Bruce Ostien
02-08-2005, 17:21
I have the same kind of play in my 99' Suburban. I was going to go thru the steering box in the spring using the factory manuals. How did you adjust the box?

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
02-08-2005, 18:28
I would be very very careful about rebuilding your steering box. Make real sure you get it back together right the first time. You might not get a second chance. I read of someone who had rebuilt there own box. On their test drive the steering locked as they turned through an intersection. :-(

Cowracer
02-09-2005, 04:53
Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods:
I was thinking along the same lines about the worn splines. After readjusting the gear to loosen it up from my previously too tight adjustment, I drove the truck to my folks house. Oh what a dream! Little to no wander at all! Yep Randy!

Too tight an adjustment on the steering box preload screw will cause a bad wander. I'm sorry I didnt respond sooner, I was pretty involved with my no-start problem.

The Big Blue Truck took to shaking like a freezing, wet dog a while back and after much inspecting, I found that the preload adjuster was about ready to fall off :eek: .

I tightned it down, but went to far and got a terrible wander. It took about 8 adjust/drive cycles to get it just right. Even just a 'shade' too tight causes a pretty noticable wander.

tim

Randee of the Redwoods
02-09-2005, 15:49
Yea, I found out that the adjust would take a few shots as well after the last adjustment. I was under the impression it was a one way deal, I just adjusted it and went. Nah. Don't work that way. It drives so nice now, I don't know if I'll be even messing with the box now. The output shaft seal is falling off and there is fluid seepage so I will need to address that as my goal is to cork up some of my various drips and dribbles.
To the guy who asked-look on the top of your steering gear. You will see a nut with a set screw sticking through the middle of it. The The setscrew is the adjustment screw. In=tight. Out=loose. The large nut is a jamb nut locking the set screw in place. Mine was a bear to break loose. You only need it loose enough to turn the setscrew. My jamb nut is 16mm(yes, I own and use mostly metric tools) and the setscrew took a 3/16" hex wrench I think. Once you have it adjusted, tighten the jamb nut back down while holding the setscrew in place. A box end wrench helps here. Good luck.

EscaladeDiesel
04-14-2005, 07:36
After putting 20's on my Suburban any play in the steering has been exaggerated. It's in the shop now and I asked them to look see if anything could be done to tighten it up. All the bushing are good. When I asked about possible "preload screw" adjustment, the service advisor just looked at me saying he'd never heard of it, or any adjustment that could be made of a steering box. Is there another name for it?